Import / Export TM - HELP
Thread poster: tortuga langua

tortuga langua
Czech Republic
Local time: 04:32
German to Czech
+ ...
Oct 11, 2005

Dear colleagues, excuse me for such a beginer question, but: please - how do I export and import the translation memory from one PC to the other? I am sure it was already discussed somewhere, but I do not have that much time to go through all previous topics. Even a link would be very, very appreciated! Thank you a lot, have a nice day.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
File - Export / File - Import Oct 11, 2005

Hi tortuga,
Use the File - Export and File - Import commands. If the file size is not excessive, you can also copy the five files that make up a TM (.tmw, plus .iix, .mdf, .mtf, .mwf).

HTH, Ralf

tortuga langua
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Oct 11, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi tortuga,
Use the File - Export and File - Import commands. If the file size is not excessive, you can also copy the five files that make up a TM (.tmw, plus .iix, .mdf, .mtf, .mwf).

HTH, Ralf

Thank you very much, Ralf, but I am afraid, I am still lost. When I open the Workbench, these commands: "Export" - "Import" are not available (i.e. they are ´gray´ in the menu, so I can not use them). Am I doing something wrong generally?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which version are you using? Oct 11, 2005

Hi again,
When posting a technical query, it's generally advisable to indicate which version(s) you're using.

Thank you very much, Ralf, but I am afraid, I am still lost. When I open the Workbench, these commands: "Export" - "Import" are not available (i.e. they are ´gray´ in the menu, so I can not use them). Am I doing something wrong generally?

Are you using a Team or LSP version? If yes, make sure to check the Exclusive box in the opening dialogue.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TM Oct 11, 2005

When I open the Workbench, these commands: "Export" - "Import" are not available (i.e. they are ´gray´ in the menu, so I can not use them).

You need to open the TM in Workbench to make those commands available.

But the fastest way is to copy all the TM files directly, as Ralph suggested.

tortuga langua
Czech Republic
German to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 11, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

When I open the Workbench, these commands: "Export" - "Import" are not available (i.e. they are ´gray´ in the menu, so I can not use them).

You need to open the TM in Workbench to make those commands available.

But the fastest way is to copy all the TM files directly, as Ralph suggested.

Thank you both, Ralf and Hynek, very much. The problem was solved with checking the ´exclusive box´(I am using ver. 6.5 LSP), and yes, the simple way = just to copy the 5 files worked well.

Have a great day!
Best regards, Lucie "mit rauchendem Kopf"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import / Export TM - HELP

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs