Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:10
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

Error in Trados 7. When attempting to save a document as an MS Word document, I'm getting the error message 'error while converting to word'. Does anybody have any ideas?

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Save the document as .rtf Oct 17, 2005

Hello,

It sometimes happened to me in Trados 5.5, and I just saved the document as .rtf, then cleaned the document...

I do not know if it will work for Trados 7...

Best of luck,

Mar

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are you trying to clean up the document with Workbench? Oct 18, 2005

If so, please try to do the clean up using the Word macro.
Press ALT+F8 and search for tw4winClean.Main. Let it run - your document will be cleaned.
Please bear in mind, that in this way your TM will not be updated. To update your TM, save a copy of uncleaned document in RTF format and clean up this copy with WB. Or make all changes with opening and closing segments - in this way all changes will be in your TM.

Reg
... See more
If so, please try to do the clean up using the Word macro.
Press ALT+F8 and search for tw4winClean.Main. Let it run - your document will be cleaned.
Please bear in mind, that in this way your TM will not be updated. To update your TM, save a copy of uncleaned document in RTF format and clean up this copy with WB. Or make all changes with opening and closing segments - in this way all changes will be in your TM.

Regards
Jerzy

PS
We have discussed similar issues and using this macro several times before here in this forum. If you do a bit searching maybe you´ll find additional interesting informations, which may be of some help for you.
Collapse

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm using TagEditor to translate the file Oct 18, 2005

Hi everybody, thanks for your ideas. I didn't explain this problem very well at all; please forgive me.

I should have mentioned that I am translating the Word document in TagEditor (under Trados 7). It is a large document with lots of images. I have successfully translated other Word documents in TagEditor. In this case, for some reason, when I try to save the TagEditor document to Word 'Save Target As', I get the message 'Error while converting to Word document' from TagEditor.
... See more
Hi everybody, thanks for your ideas. I didn't explain this problem very well at all; please forgive me.

I should have mentioned that I am translating the Word document in TagEditor (under Trados 7). It is a large document with lots of images. I have successfully translated other Word documents in TagEditor. In this case, for some reason, when I try to save the TagEditor document to Word 'Save Target As', I get the message 'Error while converting to Word document' from TagEditor.

I hope this is clearer now. Has anyone else had this problem?

Best regards,
Paul.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This changes everything Oct 18, 2005

Try then to clean this document with WB, maybe that helps.
If not, save the original Word file as RTF, apply automatic translation to it in WB, open in Word, clean up with macro and save again as Word (this is not very good way, but if nothing else helps?).

Hope this will do the trick

Regards
Jerzy

Paul Malone
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice - I seem to have solved the problem. Oct 18, 2005

Hi Jerzy, thanks for your help. I seem to have solved the problem, so I'll explain how as this could be useful to any others who have this problem. At one point, while translating, I switched off the tag protection as I needed to change the word order in a sentence (translating from German to English). This seems to have caused the problem. To solve it, I 1) opened the original Word file once again in TagEditor, 2)saved it under a new name, 3) I made sure the tag protection was switched on, 4) I... See more
Hi Jerzy, thanks for your help. I seem to have solved the problem, so I'll explain how as this could be useful to any others who have this problem. At one point, while translating, I switched off the tag protection as I needed to change the word order in a sentence (translating from German to English). This seems to have caused the problem. To solve it, I 1) opened the original Word file once again in TagEditor, 2)saved it under a new name, 3) I made sure the tag protection was switched on, 4) I translated the file once again automatically from Workbench, then finally 5) I saved the newly translated file as the target Word document, still with the new name, which I can change later. The result is fine.

Thanks once again for your time and for your advice.

Best regards,
Paul.
Collapse

Heike Behl, Ph.D.
Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 22:10
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Just rename original Aug 9, 2006

Paul Malone wrote:

Hi Jerzy, thanks for your help. I seem to have solved the problem, so I'll explain how as this could be useful to any others who have this problem. At one point, while translating, I switched off the tag protection as I needed to change the word order in a sentence (translating from German to English). This seems to have caused the problem. To solve it, I 1) opened the original Word file once again in TagEditor, 2)saved it under a new name, 3) I made sure the tag protection was switched on, 4) I translated the file once again automatically from Workbench, then finally 5) I saved the newly translated file as the target Word document, still with the new name, which I can change later. The result is fine.

Thanks once again for your time and for your advice.

Best regards,
Paul.

Thanks, Paul, it was indeed helpful.

I only ran the tm again on a renamed version of the file. That alone did the trick; no need to change any settings.

It's just one of Trados' quirks and I don't think it's related to the tag protection (mine is always turned off).

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TAG protection on or off does not affect the document itself, but... Aug 9, 2006

when you have TAG protection off you have to be very carefull with TAGs. There are plenty of them - and not all can be deleted. With many of them the sequence of TAGs is important. So very possibly you have moved a TAG (or a part of it) and this caused the problem.
I don´t want to say one should work with TAG protection on - no, I do not and I know many others don´t. It is just enough to keep an eye on the TAGs.

Regards
Jerzy

Maurice Koopman
Maurice Koopman  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
document protection off Apr 21, 2007

Hi everyone, I had this problem as well, thought my tag protection was on. I turned off the document protection and that was the cause. I followed Pauls steps and I could clean the document without any error. Thanks for the advice!

Kind regards,

Maurice

Lubomir Moudry
Lubomir Moudry  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Error while converting to Word document - one additional hint Oct 3, 2011

Hi All

Thanks for all the helpful posts. I've found that leaving a few segments untranslated was also making me troubles. Once I got back to the untranslated segments and completed those, everything was fine :-/
L

Ángela María Gómez
Ángela María Gómez
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
from .docx to .doc Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for all the helpful information.
I saved the .docx file as .doc, ran the TM again with TagEditor, and it was solved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error while converting to Word document

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »