Italy
Local time: 05:16
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 17, 2005

Hi,
I use Trados 6.0.0.309 (Build 310).
I never translate PowerPoint files and I don't have PowerPoint software in my computer. Today a customer of mine sent me a TagEditor file created from a PPT file. I got a first error message about lack of settings but I was able to open the first segment, translate it. Then I saved the file as bilingual file with the original title (as asked by my customer). However, when I tried to open again the file, I got the following error message:
4007: Error reading TTX file header: Expected entity name for reference

My question is: is the above problem due to the Trados version I use? Would upgrading to Trados 7 solve the problem? As I never work with PowerPoint files I am not familiar with the whole issue.

Thanks!
Laura

Direct link Reply with quote

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
What version created the TTX? Oct 18, 2005

Laura Gentili wrote:

Hi,
I use Trados 6.0.0.309 (Build 310).
I never translate PowerPoint files and I don't have PowerPoint software in my computer. Today a customer of mine sent me a TagEditor file created from a PPT file. I got a first error message about lack of settings but I was able to open the first segment, translate it. Then I saved the file as bilingual file with the original title (as asked by my customer). However, when I tried to open again the file, I got the following error message:
4007: Error reading TTX file header: Expected entity name for reference

My question is: is the above problem due to the Trados version I use? Would upgrading to Trados 7 solve the problem? As I never work with PowerPoint files I am not familiar with the whole issue.

Hi Laura,

It would be useful to know what version the client used to create the TTX.
Since the support for PPT>TagEditor was developed in Trados 6.5 and further in 7.0, my guess is that the client used one of these later versions to create it.

My experience is that if the client would run an older version than 6.5, he would have used T-Window for Powerpoint to convert it into RTF instead, and hence wouldn't have given you a TTX.

So in short: yes, it would most probably help if you upgraded to 6.5 or above.

Another idea: I don't know if WordFast has any support for this kind of TTXs. Anyone?

/Jan

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
Not with 6.0 Oct 18, 2005

HI,

AFAIK, Trados 6.0 can not handle PPT files, only the version 6.5 upgraded to this function...

Sylvain

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:16
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
PowerPoint Oct 18, 2005

AFAIK, you must have PowerPoint installed on your PC - TegEditor needs it.

Laura Gentili  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help Oct 18, 2005

Thank you for your help. I installed PowerPoint but the problem persisted, therefore it has to do with the Trados version I use, as you said. Since the file is very short I suggested I would translate it in PPT without using Trados and the PM accepted.
I will look into this issue when I have more time.
Thanks again,
Laura

Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
No... Oct 19, 2005

Jan Sundström wrote:
Another idea: I don't know if WordFast has any support for this kind of TTXs. Anyone?

Won't do, AFAIK. Wordfast translates PowerPoint files by "remote controlling" PowerPoint from Word. It doesn't work with TTXs at all.

P.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to work on TagEditor file converted from PPT

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs