Thread poster: LuciaC
LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:46
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

I've been reading previous forum postings and other material on the Web, but I still cannot make up my mind.

I have Trados Freelance 5 (5.0.1.217 Build 217)and my main client has Trados 5.5. So far so good, everything works perfectly. Now my second client wants me to upgrade to Trados 7. In principle I don't have anything against it but my aim is to remain 'perfectly compatible' with my main client. I work on a huge memory for them, which is regularly updated. In turn, I have to sen
... See more
I've been reading previous forum postings and other material on the Web, but I still cannot make up my mind.

I have Trados Freelance 5 (5.0.1.217 Build 217)and my main client has Trados 5.5. So far so good, everything works perfectly. Now my second client wants me to upgrade to Trados 7. In principle I don't have anything against it but my aim is to remain 'perfectly compatible' with my main client. I work on a huge memory for them, which is regularly updated. In turn, I have to send them my uncleaned files to be checked and fed into the memory. I often translate large jobs comprising up to 100 files.

What would happen then if I upgrade? I have asked the IT-Services of both clients and the first one says 'it's better if you don't do it', the other one says 'you'll be fine'.

I've found this on TranslationZone:
"Is TRADOS 7 Freelance backward compatible?
Yes, you can use Translation Memories created in earlier versions of TRADOS. You cannot open Translation Memories created in TRADOS 7 Freelance in earlier versions of TRADOS Workbench. This is due to support for new languages, but also because of enhanced support for Unicode. You can now store Unicode content in any language in the Translation Memory data fields.

Can I export files from TRADOS 7 Freelance into earlier versions of TRADOS?
Yes, a backward-compatible file format is provided that allows you to export content for use with earlier versions. However, the default export is encoded in Unicode (UTF-8) and can only be opened on other copies of TRADOS 7.

Sorry about my ignorance, but what does that mean in practical terms for my everyday work? What is Unicode?

I was hoping to be able to run both versions on my PC but I read on a Proz thread that they clash. It has also been suggested to me that I load Trados 7 on my laptop but my laptop is old and slow and is not broadband-ready.
Any suggestions? Thank you so much for any help.

Lucia
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:46
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Moving the thread Oct 18, 2005

to Trados Support forum

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
Why not have a experiment? Oct 18, 2005

You can make a backup of your TM before update.
Althought I have never use TRADOS 5.0,I think it will be work well when you use your TM in TRADOS 7.0.
OR
You can export your TM in text form,open it with notepad and copy some of the text to a new text file,then you send it to someone using TRADOS 7.0,see it whether or not work well.

[Edited at 2005-10-19 01:08]

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Use a dual boot system Oct 18, 2005

Lucia Cavalli wrote:

I have Trados Freelance 5 (5.0.1.217 Build 217)and my main client has Trados 5.5. So far so good, everything works perfectly. Now my second client wants me to upgrade to Trados 7. In principle I don't have anything against it but my aim is to remain 'perfectly compatible' with my main client. I work on a huge memory for them, which is regularly updated. In turn, I have to send them my uncleaned files to be checked and fed into the memory. I often translate large jobs comprising up to 100 files.

What would happen then if I upgrade? I have asked the IT-Services of both clients and the first one says 'it's better if you don't do it', the other one says 'you'll be fine'.

I've found this on TranslationZone:
"Is TRADOS 7 Freelance backward compatible?
Yes, you can use Translation Memories created in earlier versions of TRADOS. You cannot open Translation Memories created in TRADOS 7 Freelance in earlier versions of TRADOS Workbench. This is due to support for new languages, but also because of enhanced support for Unicode. You can now store Unicode content in any language in the Translation Memory data fields.

Can I export files from TRADOS 7 Freelance into earlier versions of TRADOS?
Yes, a backward-compatible file format is provided that allows you to export content for use with earlier versions. However, the default export is encoded in Unicode (UTF-8) and can only be opened on other copies of TRADOS 7.

Sorry about my ignorance, but what does that mean in practical terms for my everyday work? What is Unicode?

I was hoping to be able to run both versions on my PC but I read on a Proz thread that they clash. It has also been suggested to me that I load Trados 7 on my laptop but my laptop is old and slow and is not broadband-ready.
Any suggestions? Thank you so much for any help.

Lucia

Read more here about Unicode:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unicode

The cheapest/easiest solution for you would simply be to run a dual boot system on your main computer.
You don't write which OS you're running, but in recent Windows version you can also set up user accounts and designate programs to run only for one user.
I haven't ran two Trados versions like this, but it should work - in theory at least...

If the program versions still interfer, buy a second hard disk and keep each version physically separated on each hard disk, but still running on the same computer. This wouldn't cost you more than €75 or so.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
You'll be fine Oct 18, 2005

Everything should be OK except this:

You cannot open Translation Memories created in TRADOS 7 Freelance in earlier versions of TRADOS Workbench.

Meaning: You cannot create a new TM in Trados 7 and send it to your client who is using Trados 5 (I mean send it directly in the Trados native format). But you can export your TM for Trados 6.5 and older - just make sure to select that option during export.

You will be able to send translated bilingual Word documents to your client and they will be able to clean them into their TM just like before.

Using two different versions of Trados is not recommended.

Unicode is a standard for international character encoding. More definitions.

LuciaC
LuciaC
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:46
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your suggestions and explanations Oct 18, 2005

At last things are clear!

Best wishes,

Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is Trados 7 compatible with 5.5?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »