ITtranslations
Seychelles
Local time: 10:11
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

Trados 7, WinXP.

Impossible to open a big TM of 250MB because of "insufficient storage space" (error nº8).

Do someone know how to handle this?

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Big TM Oct 18, 2005

[Edited at 2005-10-19 01:06]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Memory issue Oct 18, 2005

Hi Enaut,
Not sure if this is a Trados issue per se - how much RAM does your system have? Another point to check is how much free memory you have on your c drive.

Given sufficient system resources, Trados shouldn't have a problem handling the TM.

Best regards,
Ralf

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No memory problems Oct 18, 2005

I have 512MB RAM and more than 120 GB on the hard disk.
I've been using the TM for months without any problems until this morning.

According to Trados, TM size has no limit.

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution to recover the content? Oct 18, 2005

Do you know a solution to recover the content of the TM?
I've tried with SDLX but it's only possible from a TMX or TXT file.

Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo
Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion Oct 18, 2005

If you still have a copy of the original TM that you received, you can clean up all the files that you have been working on. This way, you will recreate the TM.
I am not sure if it is possible but if you have Trados 6.5, maybe you can try to open the TM with this version and export it to TXT and then create a new one in Trados 7 and import it.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
My TM is larger than yours Oct 18, 2005

And works.

If you make yours available for download, I can download it, try to open and then export.

I have 2 computers with 512 MB RAM and 1 with 1 GB.

And I have French and Spanish installed in TRADOS (even if for me these are very foreign languages).

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:11
English to German
+ ...
It's a proprietary binary format.. Oct 18, 2005

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Theoretically, this is not possible (without reverse engineering by an experienced C++ programmer), but maybe you can still use it as a reference TM?

Or ask Trados to export it for you?

It may also be a misleading error message..

[Edited at 2005-10-18 16:07]

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 18, 2005

Harry_B wrote:

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Theoretically, this is not possible (without reverse engineering by an experienced C++ programmer), but maybe you can still use it as a reference TM?

Or ask Trados to export it for you?

It may also be a misleading error message..

[Edited at 2005-10-18 16:07]

No, I can't even use it as a reference TM for concordance...
I'll ask someone to export it for me. Thanks for your help.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Same problem Oct 18, 2005

I have the same problem with a big TM (235 MB) that I used to use for concordance. Now it's not possible due to the error. I haven't found a workaround yet. The TM is in the old format, so I will try to export it to TXT and create a new TM in Trados 7.

Also, the error message is in Czech, so it might be system-related as well.

I have 1 GB of RAM and enough free space on hard disk. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem started with Trados 7. I installed the patch re
... See more
I have the same problem with a big TM (235 MB) that I used to use for concordance. Now it's not possible due to the error. I haven't found a workaround yet. The TM is in the old format, so I will try to export it to TXT and create a new TM in Trados 7.

Also, the error message is in Czech, so it might be system-related as well.

I have 1 GB of RAM and enough free space on hard disk. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the problem started with Trados 7. I installed the patch release today and the problem is still there.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Defrag your disk Oct 18, 2005

It may help: some time ago I started to get error messages when opening TM memories saying that I had insufficient resource. After I defragged the hard disk all the problems disappeared.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
This is not a problem of this TM Oct 19, 2005

I opened it. Perhaps defragmeting will help. Or perhaps just copying to a contiguous space. I always keep a seperate partition for such experiments.

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thks Oct 19, 2005

Thanks for your help!
I'll try the defragmentation and try to save the TM on another partition to see if it works.

Thks, Robert, for your great help!

Lstanton
Lstanton
Local time: 09:11
German to English
+ ...
Something to do with hard disk maybe Nov 28, 2005

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Thanks for your help!
I'll try the defragmentation and try to save the TM on another partition to see if it works.

Hi Eñaut,
I have had this same very annoying problem for over a year now and have recently contacted SDL (new owners of Trados) customer service (I had already been in correspondence with Trados about Version 6.5)about it who have basically said that there is a limit on the size of memories and I would need to get the server version of Workbench to solve it. However, reading the discussion in this Forum, I thought I would try loading the memory from a different hard disk (connected via our three-machine network)and to my surprise the memory now loads even though there is no more space on that disk than on my local machine. So I reckon the problem might be solved by installing a new hard disk or by some sort of partitioning of the existing hard disk. The large memory I have loaded has over 820,000 units.
Paul

ITtranslations
ITtranslations
Seychelles
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 28, 2005

Lstanton wrote:

Eñaut Urrestarazu wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Hi Eñaut,
I have had this same very annoying problem for over a year now and have recently contacted SDL (new owners of Trados) customer service (I had already been in correspondence with Trados about Version 6.5)about it who have basically said that there is a limit on the size of memories and I would need to get the server version of Workbench to solve it. However, reading the discussion in this Forum, I thought I would try loading the memory from a different hard disk (connected via our three-machine network)and to my surprise the memory now loads even though there is no more space on that disk than on my local machine. So I reckon the problem might be solved by installing a new hard disk or by some sort of partitioning of the existing hard disk. The large memory I have loaded has over 820,000 units.
Paul

Thanks a lot, Paul. I think I tried to put the TM on a separate hard disk but it didn't work. I'll try to create a new partition only for that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Impossible to open a big TM because of "insufficient storage space"

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »