Thread poster: Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:26
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 18, 2005

Is there any way to skip footnotes when translating with Trados? My document has tonnes of them and I would rather leave them to the end.

Word 2000
Windows XP

Trados 6.5

TIA:-)

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Don't place the subsegment Oct 18, 2005

Hi,
If you don't place the subsegment into the target segment (Alt+number), you won't get to work on the footnote. Obviously, you'll need to re-open each segment containing footnotes later.

HTH, Ralf

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 19:26
English to Chinese
+ ...
Try this way Oct 18, 2005

In word, tools-option-security,be sure not select "visible marker when open or save"

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
???? Oct 19, 2005

I don't understand Ralf!!! Sorry:-(

I also tried the other option, but my Word-Options doesn't have a security tag....

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Translating Word footnotes using Trados Oct 19, 2005

Hi again,
Have a look at the Trados File Formats Reference Guide - I have highlighted the relevant sentence:

When you open a segment containing footnotes, Translator's Workbench automatically assigns a subsegment number to each footnote in the source field, using segment delimiters.
The subsegment numbers assigned to the footnotes always start from 1. For example, if a segment contains two footnotes, their subsegment numbers are 1 and 2. However, the first footnote in the subsegment may actually be the 15th footnote in the document.
You can now start translating the segment. TRADOS recommends that you translate the main sentence first and then the footnotes. However, you can also start translating the footnotes
without entering any text into the main segment or you can translate the footnotes in a different order. When translating the footnotes, ignore the absolute numbering of the footnotes and only look at the subsegment marks Translator's Workbench has assigned to the footnotes. To start translating any footnote, press [Alt] + the subsegment number. For example, if Translator's Workbench has assigned subsegment number 2 to the footnote you want to translate, press [Alt] + [2].

You don't have to do this immediately - alternatively, you can re-open the segment later, and then translate the footnote.

Remember never to manually close the window which is automatically opened by Workbench.

Best regards,
Ralf

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Alt + 1 inserts happy face, doesn't open footnote Mar 8, 2006

Hi,

I came upon this thread while trying to work on a document's footnotes.

I can see that Workbench has assigned number 1 to the first footnote, but when I use Alt + 1, a happy face symbol is inserted in the target segment. (Is Trados laughing at me?)

Does anybody know why this happens and if there's a workaround?

TIA,

Nora

Nora Diaz
Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 04:26
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Problem solved! Mar 8, 2006

Right after I asked my question I found the answer:

Pressing Alt + 1 on the numeric keypad only inserts a happy face in the target segment.

Pressing Alt + 1 on the regular keyboard opens the footnote for translating.

ulketa
ulketa
Spanish to English
skipping or ignoring footnotes in TRADOS Sep 2, 2006

If you have tons of footnotes and wish to ignore them (because maybe you don't have to translate them, but need to keep them), I have found a solution, after much aggravation:

(this is valid for TRADOS 7 Freelance. Maybe for all the rest too, but this is the copy I use)

1. Erase your footnotes from a copy of the original document. [An easy way to do this is to select one little number, right-click on it and select "Choose all text with this same formatting", then press
... See more
If you have tons of footnotes and wish to ignore them (because maybe you don't have to translate them, but need to keep them), I have found a solution, after much aggravation:

(this is valid for TRADOS 7 Freelance. Maybe for all the rest too, but this is the copy I use)

1. Erase your footnotes from a copy of the original document. [An easy way to do this is to select one little number, right-click on it and select "Choose all text with this same formatting", then press DELETE.] Translate your document fully in Trados Workbench with Word, as you would normally do.

2. When you are finished, open your original untranslated document, the one that still has the footnotes in it.

3. Begin processing this original document using Trados Workbench... It will recognize all segments and change your document as expected with 100% fuzzy matches until you reach the first footnote, when it will stop and you will see the note inside the segment, looking something like .

4. Press ALT+1. This will open a separate window on Word itself for you to translate the note. This is the way that TRADOS arranges for you to translate notes. DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW. Instead, write whatever as your translation, or just copy the source and accept all changes as you would normally do. DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW, LET TRADOS DO IT ON ITS OWN. Simply translate this one footnote and when you accept it it will close itself up. IF YOU CLOSE IT, TRADOS CAN GET ALL SCREWED UP. So don't.

5. The reason you just "translated" this one note is to get TRADOS to generate a style that we will be using in a minute, and which holds the key to this trick.

6. Close any open segments in the document and close the document.

7. Go to TRADOS Workbench.

8. Go to File > Set up...

9. Open the tab named "Non-translatable text"

10. Below you will see two choices: "External" and "Internal". Choose "External". Then click on "Open File"

11. Choose the original file that you just closed, the one in which you just processed one footnote.

12. You will see that a list of styles will appear. Choose the one called "tw4winExternal" and press the button "
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

skipping footnotes

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »