Thread poster: Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)
Per Riise (X)  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 13:50
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Oct 19, 2005

I've just bought Term Extract and I'm having trouble installing the darn program. I've generated the licence file and saved it to a place on my PC. I've opened the MultiTermDesktop .msi and selected to install term Extract and the installation process follows (including the part where I select the licence file). When the installation is finished, I'm supposed to have Term Extract in Start>Programs>TRADOS MultiTerm7. That's all fine and dandy as I already had that folder (MultiTerm came w/ my TRA... See more
I've just bought Term Extract and I'm having trouble installing the darn program. I've generated the licence file and saved it to a place on my PC. I've opened the MultiTermDesktop .msi and selected to install term Extract and the installation process follows (including the part where I select the licence file). When the installation is finished, I'm supposed to have Term Extract in Start>Programs>TRADOS MultiTerm7. That's all fine and dandy as I already had that folder (MultiTerm came w/ my TRADOS 7 version), but the problem is that when I go to MultiTerm7 and select MultiTerm Extract, I get "101 error initializing". The licence file has been added in the Licence Manager-thingie, and a test run shows that the licence works. Furthermore, the Licence Manager claims that Term Extraxt is licenced. I have XP and Trados 7, latest build (October update). What can I do?

[Edited at 2005-10-19 17:30]
Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I'm having the same problem Oct 30, 2005

Hello Per,

I've just installed MultiTerm Extract 7 Freelance and have exactly the same problem. I can open MultiTerm Desktop, but get error message #101 when trying to open MultiTerm Extract. A test run shows that the licence is ok.
Have you solved the problem (your message is almost two weeks old)? If so, I would be grateful if you would let me know how to! Thanks a lot in advance.

Per Riise (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The solution :-) Oct 30, 2005

Yes, I did figure it out. Check Java RunTime Environment. Make sure that Java is allowed in your browser and go to C:\Programfiler\TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Desktop\TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Desktop\ISSetupPrerequisites\Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_08. The path contains Norwegian, but just make sure you find Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_08 and install it. Before doing this make sure any firewall is switched off. Reinstall Multiterm using the Repair option wh... See more
Yes, I did figure it out. Check Java RunTime Environment. Make sure that Java is allowed in your browser and go to C:\Programfiler\TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Desktop\TRADOS MultiTerm 7 Desktop\ISSetupPrerequisites\Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_08. The path contains Norwegian, but just make sure you find Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition 1.4.2_08 and install it. Before doing this make sure any firewall is switched off. Reinstall Multiterm using the Repair option when prompted. Once installed double check that Java Applets are allowed in the browser. I also suggest that you send an e-mail Trados support, if not for anythin else, so to let them know that this is a problem that should be dealt with by the programmers for the next patch/update/version. Good luck!Collapse

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
THANK YOU, PER! :-)) Oct 30, 2005

It works!
It seems that J2SE 5.0 (the Java version installed on my computer) is way too "modern" for MultiTerm Extract. I installed JRE 1.4.2_08, as you suggested, and it still didn't work. I had to UNinstall J2SE 5.0 first before MultiTerm Extract would open.
Thanks again for your help.

Per Riise (X)
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Modern Java Oct 30, 2005

Same thing here as well. I too had Java 5 installed. Forgot to mention that you had to remove other Java-installations, but you figured that one out yourself.

Metall
Metall
German to English
+ ...
Thank you soo much :-) Oct 23, 2006

LittleBalu wrote:

It works!
It seems that J2SE 5.0 (the Java version installed on my computer) is way too "modern" for MultiTerm Extract. I installed JRE 1.4.2_08, as you suggested, and it still didn't work. I had to UNinstall J2SE 5.0 first before MultiTerm Extract would open.
Thanks again for your help.

Deeply felt thanks to both Per and you for this tip.

I am presently evaluating SDL Trados 2006, Multiterm 7.1.0.361, MT Extract 7.1.0.157 (14 day full feature license from Trados) for a company, and the same problem still exists!
"Error 101"
The hint in the release notes is incpmplete - it states that JRE 1.4.2_08 is needed, but not to worry as it was included.
No path, no hint that other JRE versions must be deinstalled.

Ack, phooey.

I had to save the unzipped MT installation files (from the .exe file downloaded from Trados) to my hard drive and search for products\mtdesktop\ISSetupPrerequisites\Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment Standard Edition 1.4.2_08\jre-1.4.2_08-windows-i586-p.exe .
Run that (installs that JRE version).
MT Extract insists on trying the J2SE 5.0 and makes the same boo-boo.
So I deinstalled J2SE 5.0 -> now MT Extract works.
I hope I have not broken anything else on the machine by this.

I will inform the Trados sales representative about this.
Actually, we ought to get paid

I don't see how a translator is supposed to be able to deal with with ugly installation issues like this. I could only because I'm a sysadmin as well...

Cheers and thank you,

Metall/ Astrid

[Edited at 2006-10-23 14:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installing Term Extract

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »