Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:56
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 20, 2005

Hi guys,
I did a search for this and didn't find anything, so if it's already been covered just post my thick head a link to the old thread

I've been usign Sdlx for a few years and know my way around that. I got Trados yesterday, so I'm still a bit lost.

I've managed to convert my TMs to Trados and started using it but after following the Tutorials and manual instructions many times I am getting pretty frustrated trying to convert my Sdlx termbase to work in Multiterm.

I'm exporting the termbase from Sdlx, doesn't seem to produce a workable file with any other settings than .txt file.
Then I convert this text file with Multiterm Convert which seems to go ok. Then in Multiterm I creat a new termbase and add the converted file to it.
The converted file contains thousands of terms but the best I've managed to get is about 300 in the new Multiterm termbase.
Also I seem to have an issue with the fields, (index, term, definition, entry, etc).

Any tips would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Mac

PS: This is the best result I've managed to get so far for the 300 or so terms out of the thousands of originals. You can see the issue with the fields too:

Entry level

Entry number: 1

English (Britain)

Term: English (Britain)

that: without

Italian

Term: Italian

quello: senza

Direct link Reply with quote

Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution Oct 24, 2005

Answer from SDL support team.
Thanks

Currently the TermBase export to MultiTerm only works for MultiTerm 5.5. However, if you want to import your SDL TermBases into MultiTerm 7.0 what you need to do is:

1. Export the SDL TermBase to delimited .txt format
2. Then import this .txt file into Excel and save the Excel file
3. Now you can run MultiTerm Convert and convert the Excel file to MultiTerm XML format
4. You can then import the XML file into MT

I haven’t tried this yet as I’ve currently uninstalled Trados 7 due to repeated issues with Word 2000. See other thread: http://www.proz.com/topic/38215
Mac

[Edited at 2005-10-24 12:58]

[Edited at 2005-10-24 12:59]

Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Termbase Import solution Oct 25, 2005

I followed Fasil’s tips and exported a delimited text file from Sdlx termbase, then imported this into excel.

When you create the excel file only import the terms not the language or index links. Then at the first entry in the excel file add a line and indicate the language of each column of terms.

I created an excel file that had all the terms and used Multiterm Convert on this, then I created a Termbase in Multiterm using the .xdt file created, and added the terms in the xml file but only got about 297 terms out of 5000. In fact the Xml Import Entries process stopped after about 6%.

I checked the excel file used to create the xml in Multiterm Convert and at entry 299 there was a box like this

I removed the box and edited the whole excel file also restoring characters (such as: à è ù) that had been replaced by a question mark which I discovered would not be imported into the new termbase. Or you can delete the line these appear on. There were also several other boxes, which I removed as I presume this is what stopped the Import process.

After removing the box at entry 299 I deleted the old xml file and created another with Multiterm Convert and managed to import 865 entries.

I checked the excel file again and sure enough there was another box I’d missed in the edit that had blocked the import. After removing this box I managed to import all the terms.

When the Multiterm Import entries process bar reaches 100% and you can find the last term in the excel file also in the new termbase, you should be sorted.

All the best
Mac

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import Sdlx termbase to Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs