Can you apply a Trados termbase to just the translation, leaving the original unchanged.
Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:28
Italian to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

In Sdlx you can apply a termbase to just the translation but leave the original unchanged so when you update the TM it updates the original language segments against the translated segments. Keeping the TM updated for future translations.

In Trados if I apply the termbase to the doc in word with the Tools/Translate function of the Workbench the termbase will change both the original and translated text so when the TM is updated it won’t be able to update the original language seg
... See more
In Sdlx you can apply a termbase to just the translation but leave the original unchanged so when you update the TM it updates the original language segments against the translated segments. Keeping the TM updated for future translations.

In Trados if I apply the termbase to the doc in word with the Tools/Translate function of the Workbench the termbase will change both the original and translated text so when the TM is updated it won’t be able to update the original language segments against the translated segments because some of the terms have also been changed in the original segments.

So is there any way to apply the termbase to just the part I’m going to translate?
This way I can also see the original language text and the translation.

Also is there any way to use the Find/Replace function of Word to just replace the words in the segments I'm translating and not the original too?

Thanks
Mac

[Edited at 2005-10-25 15:53]
Collapse

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Change the original? Oct 25, 2005

Hi,
I don't understand your question. Trados does not change the original text when you translate. It replaces the source language segments it identifies as perfect matches with the target language corresponding segments. Furthermore the replacement is completed only after your clean the Word file. Before that, the original text remains as hidden text.
Can you explain and maybe give an example?

Regards,
Marie-Céline

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Marie-Céline Oct 25, 2005

Thanks for the feeedback.

In Word if you enable "Hidden text" in the Tools/Options tab you'll see both the original and the text you'll be translating.

What I do in Sdlx is first apply the termbase and that will translate any 100% or fuzzy matches. Then I apply the termbase to change the words in the translation that are in the termbase (it's a lot faster than typing them over and over again.)
Before you apply the termbase Sdlx asks you if you want to delete the
... See more
Thanks for the feeedback.

In Word if you enable "Hidden text" in the Tools/Options tab you'll see both the original and the text you'll be translating.

What I do in Sdlx is first apply the termbase and that will translate any 100% or fuzzy matches. Then I apply the termbase to change the words in the translation that are in the termbase (it's a lot faster than typing them over and over again.)
Before you apply the termbase Sdlx asks you if you want to delete the translation and if you choose NO it will only change the words in the sgments that aren't 100% or fuzzy matches.

When you end the machine translation with the TM and termbase you have the original on one side which is unchanged and the translation text you'll be working on the other side. Some segments will be 100%, some fuzzy matches, and other will be no match but with a lot of terms automatically changed.

When I start working on the text I'll use the Find/Replace function to change things all through the translation like this too, even parts of words.

That's what I want to do in Trados too, but without changing the original text.

I can apply the termbase and use the Find/Replace function in Word, but it changes the original too so I can't update the TM against the original anymore.

I'm going to try applying the termbase without the higgen text but I'm pretty sure it changes the original.
Mac
Collapse

Carsten Behrend
Carsten Behrend  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Mixing up Oct 25, 2005

I hope I will get some conceptions straight.

What I do in Sdlx is first apply the termbase ...

You are mixing up some things. Termbase is a product of STAR (=Transit). What you have in mind is a Translation Memory which is provided with the Workbench under Trados. The termbase solution in Trados is called MultiTerm. So far the straighting up...

Going through the description of your workflow I assume you will want to make use of the Trados Maintenance feature. Open the Workbench, go to menu item File and select Maintenance. At this place, several opportunities are provided for the user to manipulate an existing translation memory. Refer to the manual for further assistance as I am not capable of describing every single detail.

However, I advise you to pre-translate the Word doc. Then go to Maintenance and enter the Find-/Replace feature. Change the memory according to your needs. Then re-open a fresh, untampered with source language Word file and let Trados Workbench run through the text. You will get the finalized bilingual product.

HTH
Carsten

[Edited at 2005-10-25 18:26]

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps we're talking about different things Oct 25, 2005

Hi Carsten,
Thanks for the feedback.
Yep I know a TM is whole translated segments and a termbase is terms, 2 seperate things.

I'm pretty sure Maintenance is to change things in the TM, if so we're talking about different things.

Anyway I've found a way to do this, see following post.

Good info on the Maintenance function btw, thanks
Mac

Jo Macdonald
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ok, I think I’ve found a way to do this if anyone’s interested. Oct 25, 2005

Settings for Workbench Translate tab

Check:
Segment unknown sentences X

Update changed translations
Don’t X

Translate terms
Replace X

This seems to leave the original unchanged and just change the terms in the segments that will be translated.

If you don’t check “Segment unknown sentences” the terms will be changed in the original too, and you won’t be able to update the TM against the clean original.... See more
Settings for Workbench Translate tab

Check:
Segment unknown sentences X

Update changed translations
Don’t X

Translate terms
Replace X

This seems to leave the original unchanged and just change the terms in the segments that will be translated.

If you don’t check “Segment unknown sentences” the terms will be changed in the original too, and you won’t be able to update the TM against the clean original.

The Find/Replace function in Word works like this too. You can change the terms in the translation but leave the original clean as long as "Hidden text" is deactivated, and any segments you're translating with Trados are closed.

This makes the translation work a lot quicker as you can drag and drop the changed terms around in the translation instead of having to copy every word from the termbase as you get to it.

You have to watch changing short words, especially one letter words, select “Whole word only” to just change short words or else you’ll change parts of all the words and it’ll be a mess.

I’ve updated the TM and tried applying it again and it works. Like this you get a good TM update. You’ll probably have to change the colour of the terms that were changed automatically by the machine translation. They appear blue.
Don’t know if you can change the colour so it's the same as the original.

Mac

[Edited at 2005-10-25 18:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can you apply a Trados termbase to just the translation, leaving the original unchanged.

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »