Mobile menu

Trados 6.5 Formatting changes unintenionally
Thread poster: Klaus Hartmann
Klaus Hartmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:13
English to German
+ ...
Nov 7, 2005

Probably this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find those answers, not knowing what to look for exactly...

I just scanned a document and manually re-created the formatting (some bold, some italics, some tabs, nothing special). I now have an rtf.

As soon as I start translating with Trados 6.5 and Office 2003, the system changes the formatting, in both the source-language and the target-language line of the open segment: Normal text becomes bold capitals (!). When I then move on to the next segment, the capitals go back to lower case, but the bold stays.

My system has been doing more strange things with formatting lately: Changing closing brackets into opening brackets during clean-up of other documents and changing formatting of documents in an almost erratic manner.

[I use a router, so a virus is unlikely.]

Help please!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes, this has been discussed on numerous occasion here before Nov 7, 2005

and this is not a BUG of Trados, but a feature!
You say you created a document from PDF, so your OCR converter has created styles (very likely numerous styles with strange names...) for your document. The best way to avoid format changing would be to start translating RTF in TAG Editor - then you have not to bother about any formatting.
If you wish to continue in Word, you will have to adapt the styles of the text so, that they match exactly the text, formatted according to such style.
For example, if you have a style called A21, which is Times New Roman 12 pt, capitals, paragraph adjusted to both margins, line spacing 1,5 and no further parameters, but the text is formatted with Arial 10 pt, single spacing, left adjusted, no capitals, so when you open such segment with Trados it will recreate the formating of style A21 rather then the previous manual formatting. So you have to set the style A21 to Arial 10 pt, no capitals, single spacing, left adjust.
However, if you have rtf, the possibly easiest way would be to remove ALL formatting, set the whole document to the Normal style (don´t forget to set the style to your TARGET language) and then start over after resaving as *.doc, closing and reopening the file.

Regards
Jerzy

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem persists even after deleting all the formatting... Nov 7, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

and this is not a BUG of Trados, but a feature!
You say you created a document from PDF, so your OCR converter has created styles (very likely numerous styles with strange names...) for your document. The best way to avoid format changing would be to start translating RTF in TAG Editor - then you have not to bother about any formatting.
If you wish to continue in Word, you will have to adapt the styles of the text so, that they match exactly the text, formatted according to such style.
For example, if you have a style called A21, which is Times New Roman 12 pt, capitals, paragraph adjusted to both margins, line spacing 1,5 and no further parameters, but the text is formatted with Arial 10 pt, single spacing, left adjusted, no capitals, so when you open such segment with Trados it will recreate the formating of style A21 rather then the previous manual formatting. So you have to set the style A21 to Arial 10 pt, no capitals, single spacing, left adjust.
However, if you have rtf, the possibly easiest way would be to remove ALL formatting, set the whole document to the Normal style (don´t forget to set the style to your TARGET language) and then start over after resaving as *.doc, closing and reopening the file.

Regards
Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,
Thank you very much for your swift and kind reply.

Actually, the document was created as a real scan, via scanner and OCR, not as a conversion from pdf [it is a specification, with access restrictions].

I've tried deleting all the formatting, saving as doc and re-opening. Also started a new TM. But the problem persists:

The document Formatting is indicated as standard, Times New Roman, left-aligned, 12pts font size, no bolds, no italics.

As soon as I open a segment for translation, the source line goes to italics + CAPITALS, the formatting is indicated as "Standard + (Komplex) FETT (LATEIN) GROSSBUCHSTABEN, KURSIV, OBEN einfach" and this weird format is also applied as default on the target line. If I close without saving the segment, the original doesn't go back to normal, but to bold. It's so weird, and I'm getting so desperate about it, with a deadline looming tomorrow morning...

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does is by accident show anything about other - Asian - language? Nov 7, 2005

Or about other characters, such as Sim-Sun?
The behaviour you describe would let me think, your text was created or has seen an asian PC...
If your normal-style does content ANY reference to Asian languages, the only way to avoid the problem is to copy an identical normal-style from another "clean" document, created on your PC. I assume you do not have any asian OS or Office there.

The behaviour is very strange indeed.
If you dont mind contacting me via my profile, I would be glad to try to help you further, experimenting with your file, but unfortunately not today evening. Nevertheless, we could than exchange experiences and thus profit on this way for the future.

Thanyk you very much
Rgds
Jerzy

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Found a workaround! Nov 7, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

The behaviour you describe would let me think, your text was created or has seen an asian PC...
If your normal-style does content ANY reference to Asian languages, the only way to avoid the problem is to copy an identical normal-style from another "clean" document, created on your PC. I assume you do not have any asian OS or Office there.

If you dont mind contacting me via my profile, I would be glad to try to help you further, experimenting with your file, but unfortunately not today evening. Nevertheless, we could than exchange experiences and thus profit on this way for the future.

Thanyk you very much
Rgds
Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,
Thank you very much for your kind offer.

Actually, I've now found a workaround: If I create a virgin Word document and then copy/paste my text, the strange behaviour is gone!

It was a great relief to have your help in this moment!

Best regards

Klaus

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Your workaround shows actually, that it WAS a formatting problem Nov 7, 2005

But it concerned the whole document and its RTF-format.
When you copy the text without the last paragraph mark into a new virgin document a lot of code information is dropped.
I should have thought about this possibility at once, sorry.

Nevertheless, I´m glad it worked for you.

Regards
Jerzy

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Maybe better if Nov 7, 2005

Klaus Hartmann wrote:

Actually, I've now found a workaround: If I create a virgin Word document and then copy/paste my text, the strange behaviour is gone!

Best regards

Klaus

you make a Copy and Paste special/Text without formating (unter Bearbeiten)

Rgds

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
When I copy-paste, I can even preserve the formatting information... Nov 7, 2005

Klaus Hartmann wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Thanyk you very much
Rgds
Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,
Thank you very much for your kind offer.

Best regards

Klaus

Just for the record (and for others who might have the same problem some day): I did another experiment and realized that I can take the whole text of the .rtf created via scanning and OCR WITH ALL the formatting (bold, italics, alignment, offsets,...) and copy/paste it into a virgin Word document. Afterwards, Trados works just fine on the document, no more unintentional changes of the formatting.

Hamdi Mansour
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Strange Asian chataracters appear in TM Jan 3, 2006

Dear colleague,
Can anyone help me solve the problem of some Arabic strings appearing in Asian characters in my Eng to ARA TM??? I do not know why some of the text in translated RTFs appear in strange Asian fonts although I do not use any.
thanks
hamdi

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But it concerned the whole document and its RTF-format.
When you copy the text without the last paragraph mark into a new virgin document a lot of code information is dropped.
I should have thought about this possibility at once, sorry.

Nevertheless, I´m glad it worked for you.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 6.5 Formatting changes unintenionally

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs