Thread poster: Paul Kozelka
Paul Kozelka
Paul Kozelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Nov 8, 2005

If you find, as I do, that Alt+Num + is too far a stretch, follow Gianfranco's wonderful instructions (below) and make your macro CTL+9; you can also make the Translate to Fuzzy macro work with a shorter stretch by making its macro CTL+0 (these macros are infrequently used in normal Word operations).

Changing keyboard shortcuts in Word Oct 21

Oct 21
To customize the keyboard shortcuts proceed as follows:

From the menu Tools, select the opt
... See more
If you find, as I do, that Alt+Num + is too far a stretch, follow Gianfranco's wonderful instructions (below) and make your macro CTL+9; you can also make the Translate to Fuzzy macro work with a shorter stretch by making its macro CTL+0 (these macros are infrequently used in normal Word operations).

Changing keyboard shortcuts in Word Oct 21

Oct 21
To customize the keyboard shortcuts proceed as follows:

From the menu Tools, select the option Customize

Click on the Keyboard button, visible at the bottom of the dialog.

Now, on the left hand side, in (Categories), select Macro, and on the right hand side will appear the complete list of all macros currently available in your Word environment.

Some of them belong to the Trados interface, and you can identify them because they all start with "tw4win..."

For example:
- tw3winSetClose.Main
- tw4winSetCloseOpenGet.Main
- tw4winTranslateToFuzzy.Main
and so on.

Browse the macros listed, and you will see below the corresponding keyboard combination. You can change them to your liking, one by one, then close the dialog and test the new shortcuts.

Note: this procedure is also valid to change (or add) keyboard combination to any standard Word command or macro available in your Word environment, created by yourself or by third parties.

bye
Gianfranco
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Or make them even closer :) Nov 8, 2005

I have four most useful TW shortcuts literally at the tips of my fingers: LAlt+J, K, L, ; It's Open/Get, Set/Close, Translate to Fuzzy and CopySource - you could put Set/Close/Open/Get as one of the first, but I don't like it that way...

Of course, it is most useful when you are touch-typing - you keep your fingers right on the "home" keys. Believe me, when you get used to it, it makes your work much faster and easier...

Getting your hand away from the home keys is rea
... See more
I have four most useful TW shortcuts literally at the tips of my fingers: LAlt+J, K, L, ; It's Open/Get, Set/Close, Translate to Fuzzy and CopySource - you could put Set/Close/Open/Get as one of the first, but I don't like it that way...

Of course, it is most useful when you are touch-typing - you keep your fingers right on the "home" keys. Believe me, when you get used to it, it makes your work much faster and easier...

Getting your hand away from the home keys is really distracting. The same goes for the mouse, by the way (I tend to operate most of the commands with shortcuts) or even those far keys - like Delete or End. I have some more shortcuts for deleting words before and after the cursor, etc.
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
Excellent tips Nov 9, 2005

Thanks Paul and Gianfranco

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handy Keyboard Shorcut for MSWord and TW

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »