Mobile menu

Can Excel job for Tag Editor also be done in Wordfast?
Thread poster: klghemil ghseil
klghemil ghseil
Equatorial Guinea
Local time: 17:30
Nov 26, 2005

Hello. Would really appreciate any help on this dilemma, hope I am expressing myself clearly enough!

So, my regular agency has sent me a very large job which needs to be done by Monday. It is a huge Excel file, which they have provided both as a plain excel file and as a "ready to translate" Tag Editor file ending in .xml.ttx.
Unfortunately I can't open this .ttx file in my version of Trados (5.5, on Windows Xp, also with Office 97.) - it just crashes Tag Editor. When I open Tag Editor first, then try to open the Excel file directly, it says it doesnt recognise the file type.
Now a colleague from the agency says that so long as I get the translation into the (workbench) memory somehow, that will be acceptable and they will fiddle about with the formatting themselves. So, instead of trying to create my own DTD settings and INI files, where I have NO idea of the criteria involved, am I best off translating the Excel file in Wordfast - this will give me an open txt memory that can then be SEAMLESSLY imported into Workbench, am I right?

Sorry this is convoluted,
hope it is as nice crispy weather where you are as it is in Berlin,
Thanks
Jenny H.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Should work Nov 26, 2005

Hello Jennifer,

I don't use Trados, but I remember that there has been a change in the TTX format from Trados 5 to Trados 6, I think (not sure about this). So this may be the reason why you can't open this TTX with your version of Trados.

On the other hand, if you have Trados 5.x, you should probably be able to use T-Window for Excel. Wordfast will work, too, you just have to import your memory into Workbench (probably by exporting your Wordfast txt to tmx).

I hope that someone else will be able to confirm this.

Good luck,

Sonja

dkalinic
Croatian to German
+ ...
It should but it doesn't Nov 26, 2005

Well, I have Trados 6.5 and Excel for TagEditor doesnt work on my system (Windows XP SP2, Office 2003 Slovenian SP2, Intel Pentium 4 3.20 MB, 1 Gb memory). When I try to open an Excel document, TagEditor just freezes.

Regards,
Davor

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
I had problems with "huge" Ecxel" files too. Nov 26, 2005

I do use Trados 6.5. I tried to open an Excel file in Tag Editor. (8 rows x 28.0000 entries). The system never finished the task. Opening the same file in T-Windows required 4 hours (Fast PC, 1GB Ram).

You might have a problem here.

I exported the file from Excel (Tab delimeted TXT format), imported it in Word, used Trados and reversed the process after completion of the translation.

Please note: This process only works with lists, no formulas, macros etc.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Freezing vs. taking a long time Nov 27, 2005

When you open an Excel or PowerPoint file in TagEditor for the first time, TE converts all document information into tags - this can take quite some time, possibly 30 minutes or more (depending on the size, and particular on the complexity of the document).

This may be interpreted as freezing, when it is simply a time-consuming process (which you need to do only once - if you save the converted document as .ttx, it will open much quicker).

If you're unsure, go to the Task Manager and check if there's something happening with the processes involved.

Best regards,
Ralf

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
One column, several columns? Nov 27, 2005

An easy way out - you said the agency wishes to cooperate - in case you just have to translate one column, would be to copy the column into Word, translate it with Wordfast and send the uncleaned file to the agency. The agency could generate a dedicated Trados TM from your uncleaned file and should get only 100% matches when they retranslate the TTX file with that TM.

Regards,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Excel job for Tag Editor also be done in Wordfast?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs