Moving Trados to a new PC - checklist
Thread poster: Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur

Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 18:27
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2005

I have a new PC and I'm planning to move Trados in a couple of days. I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of, prepare, etc. The new system I'm moving to is XP Pro, Office 2003, and I use Freelance 6.5. I still have the installation folders and the key of course, which I'll transfer to the new PC. I just hope everything will go smoothly. If you have any tips, please share.

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Re-install Nov 29, 2005

Hi Zsanett,
You can (and should) move your translation memories and termbases, but you cannot move the program.

I have a new PC and I'm planning to move Trados in a couple of days. I was wondering if there's anything I should be aware of, prepare, etc. The new system I'm moving to is XP Pro, Office 2003, and I use Freelance 6.5. I still have the installation folders and the key of course, which I'll transfer to the new PC.

Moving the program files will get you nowhere - you must install the software on the new system. Assuming you're using a soft licence, you cannot move the license file, as this is likely to be linked to your existing machine's network card or harddisk. Return the license file through your Trados customer center, and generate a new one for the new machine.

HTH, Ralf

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Soft key Nov 30, 2005

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Assuming you're using a soft licence, you cannot move the license file, as this is likely to be linked to your existing machine's network card or harddisk. Return the license file through your Trados customer center, and generate a new one for the new machine.

I believe you can simply copy the soft license file. It worked with my PC and notebook.

Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Nov 30, 2005

Hi Ralf,

and thank you for your reply. I wasn't clear enough apparently - I'm aware of the fact that I have to reinstall the software. That's what I meant by moving the installation folders - these are the folders from which I installed the program the first time. Looking at it now I see I should've said files instead of folders - basically the .zip files.

So what I'll do is install Trados on the new PC and then move my TMs and termbases. I guess I was just wondering if anybody who's done this before has encountered anything which is good to know before I start.

Hungary
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Softkey Nov 30, 2005

Hi Hynek,

that's what I'd expect. It worked with my other software, too. I think Ralf was referring to the situation in which I'd try to move the actual program folders, instead of reinstalling the software - which is luckily not the case.

Hynek Palatin wrote:
I believe you can simply copy the soft license file. It worked with my PC and notebook.

SBtranslations  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
May 8, 2010

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Assuming you're using a soft licence, you cannot move the license file, as this is likely to be linked to your existing machine's network card or harddisk. Return the license file through your Trados customer center, and generate a new one for the new machine.

[Modifié le 2010-05-08 11:08 GMT]

SBtranslations  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
return the license May 8, 2010

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hello all,
I tried to copy the license but it doesn't work, so I tried to rerturn the license but the borrow/return dialog box is disabled, so that it is impossible to go forward, does anybody know how to shoot the trouble? Thanks

[Modifié le 2010-05-08 11:07 GMT]

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Old posts never die ;-) May 8, 2010

Hi Techwrit,

Setting aside the 5yr old post you resurrected in looking for an answer to your problem, although this shows the value of ProZ, I would first make sure I had selected a license as failing to do this would leave the return license box greyed out.

If you have done this and it still fails then use the solution finder like this to get help from SDL Support;

http://talisma.sdl.com

Then go to the tab called Solution Finder and now go here;

Licensing Problems
- My software runs in demo mode only, or Activation/Licensing does not work.
- - Activation Code
- - - I cannot return my activation code.
- - - - I get an error message when I click on Return License.

This will bring up a form that you can fill in to generate a support request and you will be contacted, normally within a (working) day.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Giulia Bassi  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
activation code impossible to select Dec 19, 2010

Hello all,
I tried to copy the license but it doesn't work, so I tried to rerturn the license but the borrow/return dialog box is disabled, so that it is impossible to go forward, does anybody know how to shoot the trouble? Thanks

I have the same problem: I can see the activation code but I can't select it in order to click on "Return License".
Thanks to this very helpful topic I used Talisma.sdl.com and I have just sent a message with the description of the problem, I hope to get an answer!!

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Click the "Fulfillment ID" first Dec 19, 2010

Hello Giulia,
click on the line with the respective license in the "Fulfillment ID" column first. The "Return License" button should become active.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving Trados to a new PC - checklist

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs