Thread poster: Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:21
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2005

Does anyone have an idea of how to sort the incompatibility probs between the Word and Trados toolbar templates?

I’ve asked Sdl support about this several times and they seem to have no definitive answer.
I’ve tried both with and without the Trados Freelance patch, and there is no difference

At the moment occasionally (5 times a day) Word crashes on opening. This seems to be caused by the Trados toolbar template because in the Windows Startup folder a (hidden)
... See more
Does anyone have an idea of how to sort the incompatibility probs between the Word and Trados toolbar templates?

I’ve asked Sdl support about this several times and they seem to have no definitive answer.
I’ve tried both with and without the Trados Freelance patch, and there is no difference

At the moment occasionally (5 times a day) Word crashes on opening. This seems to be caused by the Trados toolbar template because in the Windows Startup folder a (hidden) copy of the Trados template remains open even after Word has closed/crashed.
I can sort this by deleting both the Trados template files in this folder, then running Word, which loads fine now, then adding a new copy of the Trados template to the Word startup folder.
Word will run fine for 10-20 launches like this then it starts crashing again.
If I try deleting the templates then adding a new one without first launching Word, the prog will still crash.

Any help would be greatly appreciated because even if I have a link to the startup folder and a copy of the template on my desktop so I don’t have to browse explorer for them every time it’s still pretty frustrating and time consuming.
Thanks
Mac

Word 2000
Trados 7

Windows and office are both updated and there are no viruses on the computer. No other bugs.
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Antivirus? Dec 1, 2005

Do you use an antivirus program? Try to disable scanning MS Office files. Or try to disable it completely for a while. It's just an idea and might not help, but you can try.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
reset normal.dot Dec 1, 2005

(1) Unless your normal.dot is customised to a high degree, you can simply delete it. When you start Word, it will re-create normal.dot automatically, and this new one may be compatible with your trados dot. Perhaps worth trying. You should be aware, though, that you will lose your Word macros and some settings.

(2) Actually, what do you mean by "crahses" - what excatly happens and what gialog boxes do you get?

Antonin

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Two things Dec 1, 2005

maybe another templates running?

Like Systran, PDFs converters or something like this, then better put them into the templates folder, out of the Start-up, and start them manually when needed.

And a question, after closing Word, Workbench or other templates are still in the Task manager/process (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)?

Search for ~ (with all applications closed) and delete all dot files starting with this symbol.

Rgds

Fernand
... See more

Like Systran, PDFs converters or something like this, then better put them into the templates folder, out of the Start-up, and start them manually when needed.

And a question, after closing Word, Workbench or other templates are still in the Task manager/process (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)?

Search for ~ (with all applications closed) and delete all dot files starting with this symbol.

Rgds

Fernando Caras Toledo
Technical translator DE-ES
Cologne-Germany
Phone +49 - 221 8800810
Fax +49 - 89 1488 243610
E-Mail Toledo
Skype Toledo
Collapse

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the feedback guys Dec 2, 2005

Thanks for the feedback guys

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Do you use an antivirus program? Try to disable scanning MS Office files. Or try to disable it completely for a while. It's just an idea and might not help, but you can try.

Hi Hynek. Yep I used an updated antivirus. I’ve added an exclusion and we’ll see what happens. I haven’t been getting an antivirus warning dialogue or anything. Word does seem to be launching faster now, might just be my imagination. I seem to remember Norton antivirus blocking a really heavy Word doc a while back when I was using that prog.

antonin_1955 wrote:

(1) Unless your normal.dot is customised to a high degree, you can simply delete it. When you start Word, it will re-create normal.dot automatically, and this new one may be compatible with your trados dot. Perhaps worth trying. You should be aware, though, that you will lose your Word macros and some settings.

(2) Actually, what do you mean by "crahses" - what excatly happens and what gialog boxes do you get?

Antonin

Hi Antonin,

My Word template is quite customised and at first (also on the advice of Sdl service) I was deleting the Word Normal.dot template and resetting the whole thing, repairing Word etc, but now I’m pretty sure it’s not a problem with the Word template but the Trados one as when I delete the Trados Template and the hidden copy that remains open after a crash Word will then load fine also with the custom Normal.dot template.

Word crashes when launched: the program starts loading then locks and I get the usual Microsoft “do you want to report this” bull. No runtime error messages or other more specific dialogue boxes though.

Toledo wrote:

Rgds

Fernando Caras Toledo
Technical translator DE-ES
Cologne-Germany
Phone +49 - 221 8800810
Fax +49 - 89 1488 243610
E-Mail Toledo
Skype Toledo

Hi Toledo,
There are no other templates running or in the Word startup folder, or windows startup. I don’t have office in any startup folders for example. I couldn’t find any Templates in Task Manager or doing a Search for ~ either.
The only template in the Microsoft startup menu is the Word Normal.dot and the only template in the Word startup folder is the Trados template. I stopped using the Multiterm one as that was causing even more problems.

Mac

[Edited at 2005-12-02 09:29]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados toolbar bug

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »