Mobile menu

Workbench won't open segments
Thread poster: Jacob Winsemius
Jacob Winsemius  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
German to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 4, 2005

I'm translating a Word-document, using Word 2003 and the Workbench (6.5 freelance). The formatting of the document is a nightmare, it contains lots of bookmarks, references, graphics, tables and what have you. This is probably the reason for my problem: After translating a segment and doing "Set/Close Next Open/Get", a new segment doesn't appear. The workbench interface in Word is gone and the first character of (what should be) the next segment is highlighted. Fix document doesn't work, neither does starting at another part of the document. I can't open a new segment. After having run the Bookmark Handler, I was able to translate a few segments, before encountering the same problem. Is there any way to tackle this? Any help will be appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would recommend to upgrade to Trados 7 Dec 4, 2005

and take the TAG Editor - then you can forget about any problem with Word.

If this solution will not satisfy you, please check, if your Normal.dot isn't corrupted.
Copy the text partially to a new clean document, translate it there and copy back - this should help and will not be very time consuming.
Sometimes copying the whole document without the last paragraph mark into a new document helps.

Best
Jerzy

Jacob Winsemius  Identity Verified
German to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Works like a charm Dec 4, 2005

Thanks a lot, Jerzy, you've saved my day! I copied the whole text into a fresh Word document, and now the workbench runs like a clockwork.

Best regards,
Jacob

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench won't open segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs