https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/39843-what_is_trados_and_how_does_it_work.html

What is Trados and how does it work?
Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:22
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 4, 2005

Hi all,
I have a "stupid" question...
I'm a beginning translator and I don't understand what Trados exactly is and does. I went to the internet site of Trados, but I just don't seem to get it. Can anybody tell me in simple words what it is and how it makes your life as a translator easier?
Thanks!

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
What is Trados and how does it work? Dec 4, 2005

Maaike Anne wrote:

Hi all,
I have a "stupid" question...
I'm a beginning translator and I don't understand what Trados exactly is and does. I went to the internet site of Trados, but I just don't seem to get it. Can anybody tell me in simple words what it is and how it makes your life as a translator easier?
Thanks!

Hi Maaike,

I don't use Trados so I can't tell you much about the program! It's a CAT tool, I know that much.

Here's a short Introduction to CAT tools on the ProZ.com site.

Alternatively, you could check out this Wikipedia article on Computer-assisted translation.

That should cover some of the basics!

Thomas

[Edited at 2005-12-04 16:32]

Peter Bouillon
Peter Bouillon  Identity Verified
Germany
French to German
+ ...
CAT software Dec 4, 2005

Maaike Anne wrote:
I'm a beginning translator and I don't understand what Trados exactly is and does.

You fire it up and feed it the document you translate. It opens up a frame with the first sentence to translate at the top; you type the translation of that sentence below. You then pass on to the next sentence, which will be presented to you in a similar way.

The thingy memorizes all your translations as you go along. Should a sentence come up that you have translated before, it will present the corresponding old translation, so that you don't need to translate the sentence again. Should a sentence come up that is similar to a translated sentence, you will still get your old translation as raw material you can modify to fit the current sentence.

That's the main idea of it in a nutshell.

Try out Wordfast; this program is similar to Trados. Contrary to Trados, Wordfast has a trial mode that is sufficient for translating mid-size documents and that doesn't cost license fees.

P.

[Edited at 2005-12-04 17:37]

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:22
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
"Trados for Idiots" Dec 4, 2005

I am not trying to insult you or Trados, this is the title of an article I found on Google which might interest you. The URL is:

http://life.bizland.com/trados.htm

Pedro Coral Costa
Pedro Coral Costa  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:22
English to Portuguese
That is a good question. Dec 4, 2005

If you live in Portugal, you might also be interested in this:
http://www.isla.pt/isla/Formacao/CursosFormacao/Trados/Apresentacao/trados.htm

Maaike van Vlijmen
Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 4, 2005

Thank you all for your answers! Finally I understand...

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I tell people it's an advanced 'search and replace' function Dec 5, 2005

A CAT is an empty database when you start, but records every sentence of source text together with your translation of it. Later, if it can find a previous occurrence of a sentence, it fills in the translation.

I use Trados mainly for the concorcance function - this is the facility that allows you to search for single words or expressions that do not come up as full sentences, but can be found in the database together with the way or ways you translated them earlier on.

... See more
A CAT is an empty database when you start, but records every sentence of source text together with your translation of it. Later, if it can find a previous occurrence of a sentence, it fills in the translation.

I use Trados mainly for the concorcance function - this is the facility that allows you to search for single words or expressions that do not come up as full sentences, but can be found in the database together with the way or ways you translated them earlier on.

Fixed legal terms, for instance, or other terminology can be found very quickly this way, and it's great for those collocations and expressions you simply can't look up in dictionaries. Once you have found them, you can see them in context and decide how and when to use them again.

(The same word in Danish can be translated as 'Remember! Please remember! or Don't forget ... according to context, and there are endless examples like that in every language pair.)

How useful it is depends on the type of text you work with.

But trying the other (cheaper) CATS before you invest in Trados is definitely good advice.
Collapse

Portanza
Portanza
Italy
English to Italian
Jobless Oct 16, 2010

As I understand, one day Trados will do all the job (thanks to our collaboration) and all the translators will lose their job. How does it sound to you?

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Completly false Oct 16, 2010

Portanza wrote:

As I understand, one day Trados will do all the job (thanks to our collaboration) and all the translators will lose their job. How does it sound to you?

CAT tools will never replace human translators - because a CAT tool without a human translator does simply not have any data.
Even machine translation will not replace the humans, or at least not during our lifetime.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is Trados and how does it work?

Translation news related to CAT tools

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »