https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/39859-hiding_translated_segments.html

Hiding translated segments
Thread poster: Paige Stanton (X)
Paige Stanton (X)
Paige Stanton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:16
French to English
Dec 4, 2005

I am a TRADOS beginner and am working on a translation using it. For some reason I now can see the original text and the translation in my document with the tags whereas I only want to see the translation as I go. How do I fix this? I tried clicking on the paragraph icon in Word but that doesn't work. Thanks so much in advance for you help!

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Dec 4, 2005

...to Trados Support - please use this forum to post Trados-related topics.

This issue has been discussed on numerous occasions; an explanation on how to access the relevant setting is here. You didn't mention which language version of Word you're using - in the English version, it's under Tools - Options.

However, it is strongly recommended to keep
... See more
...to Trados Support - please use this forum to post Trados-related topics.

This issue has been discussed on numerous occasions; an explanation on how to access the relevant setting is here. You didn't mention which language version of Word you're using - in the English version, it's under Tools - Options.

However, it is strongly recommended to keep both source and target visible, to avoid damaging any tags.

Best regards,
Ralf
Collapse

awilliams
awilliams
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:16
Italian to English
+ ...
Tools; Options; Hidden text Dec 4, 2005

Hi there,
Go to the tools menu in Word, go to Options and then make sure the "Hidden text" box is deselected.
Hope that helps!

Paige Stanton (X)
Paige Stanton (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Dec 4, 2005

Amy, thank you for this!

I apologize for asking the same question; next time I will search for the topic before posting.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Ralf has given you the necessary information already Dec 4, 2005

So please allow me only a little comment on it.
Do not hide the source text. If you do so, you can very easily damage your whole work and it will take you hours to get this fixed. Possibly (due to the lack of experience) you will need to rework the whole document.

In general it is advisable to keep all not printable characters shown. This helps with formatting the documents and makes it easier to correct a lot of formatt
... See more
So please allow me only a little comment on it.
Do not hide the source text. If you do so, you can very easily damage your whole work and it will take you hours to get this fixed. Possibly (due to the lack of experience) you will need to rework the whole document.

In general it is advisable to keep all not printable characters shown. This helps with formatting the documents and makes it easier to correct a lot of formatting issues, such as unnecessary breaks, tabulators and so on, prior to translating.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Hiding translated segments

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »