Should you buy the Trados / SDLX combo offer?
Thread poster: Marinus Vesseur

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 13, 2005

"We are pleased to announce the simultaneous service release of both SDL Trados 7.1 and SDLX 2005 SP1, representing the first interoperability versions of SDL's leading Translation Memory products." says SDLX at a http://www.trados.com/products.asp?page=1840
Both programs will be 'interoperable' with eachother and an upgrade from Trados 7.0 freelance will be offered free of charge for a while, all of which is nice. Only question remaining: why should anyone want to buy both programs? Does that make any sense or am I misunderstanding something?

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
German to French
+ ...
Should I at all continue to use trados? Dec 13, 2005

With the release of TRADOS 7, TRADOS will discontinue support for all TRADOS 5.x products, except for users who have current annual support contracts as of December 31, 2005. Further, the release of TRADOS 7 marks the end of life of the TRADOS 6 product line. TRADOS will continue to provide support for the latest version of this product line, TRADOS 6.5.5, until the next major release. However, support for older versions of the TRADOS 6 product line will be discontinued at the end of 2005, except for users who have current annual support contracts.

I think there is no chance that I buy TRADOS a second time.
No support for a software that cost me 1000's € not even two years ago.
I am really going to start looking for something else.

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Only if you have to work with tag-editor Dec 13, 2005

I do not enjoy working with TRADOS as I prefer SDLX - but that is a personal preference. But, I do work with TRADOS a lot. ".ttx" files (tagged files) have to be done in TRADOS tag editor. Even SDL (and they developed SDLX) uses only Tag editor for tagged .ttx files, so I am not quite sure about the 100% compatibility..
That is the only reason I have both programmes and if you have no clients that send you loads of work to be done in tag-editor (lucky you), you do not need Trados. Although as a technical translator you are bound to need it. For Word files I use SDLX or Wordfast. This is a biased opinion of course! Other people prefer TRADOS over SDLX. Good luck, Anjo

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
More integration between the two tools Dec 14, 2005

Anjo Sterringa wrote:

I do not enjoy working with TRADOS as I prefer SDLX (...)

I also prefer working with SDLX. But SDL on their web site says that Trados 7.1 will be able to edit SDL Edit files natively (in TagEditor I guess), and SDL 2005.1 will be able to edit TTX files natively (whatever it means, because it was possible to edit TTX files in SDL Edit before).

For more information see www.sdl.com/company/news/press-release-sdl.htm?id=30

They say, among others:

Both SDL TRADOS 7.1 and SDLX 2005.1 are available free, for a limited time period, to any customer who purchased a license of SDL TRADOS 7 or SDLX 2005.

Regards,

Piotr

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Download Dec 14, 2005

I'm sorry for being off-topic, but has anybody managed to download Trados 7.1 yet? I wasn't able to find any download related information and the product is not available on the subscribenet either.

Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7.1 and SDLX update not yet available for download Dec 14, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:
..has anybody managed to download Trados 7.1 yet?

Not yet. Perhaps it was only an announcement.
I was invited to the Trados update via e-mail for the 7.0 patches. Hopefully they'll do that again.

Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Trados 7.1 available Dec 15, 2005

Marinus Vesseur wrote:

Hynek Palatin wrote:
..has anybody managed to download Trados 7.1 yet?

Not yet. Perhaps it was only an announcement.
I was invited to the Trados update via e-mail for the 7.0 patches. Hopefully they'll do that again.

Hi,
I just checked my Trados Customer Center Account this morning, and "SDL Trados 7.1" is available for download.
Haven't received any e-mail from SDL/Trados, though.

Eric

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Trados 7.1 available Dec 15, 2005

Éric Cléach wrote:
I just checked my Trados Customer Center Account this morning, and "SDL Trados 7.1" is available for download.

You are right, thanks. No e-mail for me either...

xxxSemantix AB
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Only for Team versions? Dec 16, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:

Éric Cléach wrote:

You are right, thanks. No e-mail for me either...

Hi Hynek and all,

We did get the e-mail last night at 19:45. However, it reads:
The SDL Trados 7.1 update release is valid for all user groups (Trados 7 Team, Trados 7 Team Pro). For information on the release and how to apply the update, check the following article in the Knowledge Base:
http://support.trados.com/view.asp?cntID=1605

So for those of you running FL, I don't know what it means. Maybe the FL version is not yet available. Or maybe Trados won't make 7.1 available for freelancers at all???

Best,

Jan

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
SDL Trados 7.1 Freelance Dec 16, 2005

Explicon wrote:
So for those of you running FL, I don't know what it means. Maybe the FL version is not yet available. Or maybe Trados won't make 7.1 available for freelancers at all???

The update works for Freelance as well.

But I got into problems with 3rd party TagEditor plugins. I kept getting error messages in TagEditor 7.1, even though the plugins were disabled. When I uninstalled them, I wasn't able to start TagEditor 7.1 at all. After two hours I ended up in 7.0 with no TagEditor plugins available. Just great. I'm trying to solve the situation with the vendor (a big translation agency).

UPDATE: If you are using 3rd party plugins, make sure they work with Trados 7.1. If not, uninstall them prior to uninstalling 7.0 and installing 7.1.

[Edited at 2005-12-16 18:52]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
How to upgrade to 7.1 Dec 16, 2005

Well, this thread sort of developed into something else than the original question Anyhow, the instructions given in

do not seem to work for me - when I try to run the Setup, it says that the previous verison has to be uninstalled - has anyone had a similar issue?

I am not sure what happens with my settings and licence if I do uninstall...

Antonin

[Edited at 2005-12-16 18:42]

Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
How to upgrade to 7.1 Dec 16, 2005

Sorry for being off-topic, Marinus.

Antonín Otáhal wrote:
Anyhow, the instructions given in

do not seem to work for me - when I try to run the Setup, it says that the previous verison has to be uninstalled - has anyone had a similar issue?

But that's what the instructions say:

The installation program for SDL Trados 7.1 will therefore prompt you to un-install version 7.0 before you can install version 7.1. To avoid this, remove version 7.0 from your computer using the Add/Remove Software application in Windows Control Panel prior to running the installation program for version 7.1.

I am not sure what happens with my settings and licence if I do uninstall...

Everything will be preserved. But you can make a backup copy of the license just in case.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Silly of me, isn't it? Dec 16, 2005

You are right, thank you.

My excuse is I do not read everything and this remark about uninstalling the old version is "misplaced" under the point concerning downloading, but I admit this excuse is weak.

Antonin

By the way, what plugins did you have problems with?

[Edited at 2005-12-16 19:11]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
all this hoopla... Dec 17, 2005

adds up to the following:

i) the audience likes SDLX better - no sdl users opting for TRADOS
ii) there's large write-offs ahead of us and we dont like it
iii) is there anybody out there thinking of us?

Johan Jongman  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Dutch
+ ...
TTX support in SDLX Dec 21, 2005

Piotr Bienkowski wrote:

... and SDL 2005.1 will be able to edit TTX files natively (whatever it means, because it was possible to edit TTX files in SDL Edit before).

Well, the ttx support that SDLX 2005 had was problematic, to put it mildly. It looks like they've improved it with SP1, and from what I've seen so far it looks better and more reliable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should you buy the Trados / SDLX combo offer?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums