Mobile menu

Cant open Trados TM: I have tmw, but not iix files. Any tricks?
Thread poster: Natalia Infante
Natalia Infante  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2002

Hello all!



I am wondering if somebody could help me.



My client has sent a TM without its background files (you know, the .iix, etc.) and I cannot open the TM. Trados tells me that the system cannot find the specified file. When I realised of this fact, the client had gone home and I cannot reach him anywhere. The problem is that I had to work on with this TM this weekend!

Does anyone know what can I do?



Many thanks



Natalia Infante



_________________



Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elinor Thomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
Look for the .txt file Jul 19, 2002

If he sent you the memory .txt file, what you can do is create a new memory and import the .txt.



It\'s the only solution I can find.



Suerte!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Elzbieta
Netherlands
Local time: 03:10
Dutch to Polish
+ ...
It's not possible, I think... Jul 19, 2002

As far as I know all these supporting files are really necessary to can open the memory. I have no idea which information exactly is stored there but a fast test proofed that copying these files from another memory and renaming them doesn\'t solve the problem.



Direct link Reply with quote
 
Natalia Infante  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have not the txt file Jul 19, 2002

Unfortunately, he has not sent me anything but the .mtw file!



Thanks, anyway



Natalia



Quote:


On 2002-07-19 17:24, Serena wrote:

If he sent you the memory .txt file, what you can do is create a new memory and import the .txt.



It\'s the only solution I can find.



Suerte!



Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Try this... Jul 19, 2002

Quote:


On 2002-07-19 17:09, ninfante wrote:

Hello all!



I am wondering if somebody could help me.



My client has sent a TM without its background files (you know, the .iix, etc.) and I cannot open the TM. Trados tells me that the system cannot find the specified file. When I realised of this fact, the client had gone home and I cannot reach him anywhere. The problem is that I had to work on with this TM this weekend!

Does anyone know what can I do?



Many thanks



Natalia Infante







Dear Natalia,

you could try to create a new empty memory, in a different folder, and give to it the same name of the incomplete TM that you have received.

Then, copy the only file that you have received (it should be the tmw file) overwriting the newly created.



At this point, you should be able to open this reconstructed set of files and to recreate the index files (File>Reorganize).



If you have any problem, contact me using the email address on my profile and send me the file that you have.

I will try to fix it for you.

Also, tell me what version of Trados you are using.



Good luck

Gianfranco



[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-19 17:33 ]

Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
It could be a MultiTerm file Jul 19, 2002

[quote]

On 2002-07-19 17:29, ninfante wrote:

Unfortunately, he has not sent me anything but the .mtw file!



Thanks, anyway



Natalia



[quote]





Only now I read that you have a mtw file.

This is not a TM (for Trados WorkBench),

it is a MultiTerm file.

Try opening it with MultiTerm.



Gianfranco





Direct link Reply with quote
 
Natalia Infante  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Jul 19, 2002


Sorry! I meant he sent me the tmw file.



Natalia

[quote]

On 2002-07-19 17:37, gianfranco wrote:

[quote]

On 2002-07-19 17:29, ninfante wrote:

Unfortunately, he has not sent me anything but the .mtw file!



Thanks, anyway



Natalia



Quote:






Only now I read that you have a mtw file.

This is not a TM (for Trados WorkBench),

it is a MultiTerm file.

Try opening it with MultiTerm.



Gianfranco







Direct link Reply with quote
 
Natalia Infante  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works! Jul 19, 2002

Many thanks, Gianfranco!



I have been able to open the TM with all the segments!



I hope some day I can return you this favour!



Natalia



Quote:


On 2002-07-19 17:31, gianfranco wrote:

Quote:


On 2002-07-19 17:09, ninfante wrote:

Hello all!



I am wondering if somebody could help me.



My client has sent a TM without its background files (you know, the .iix, etc.) and I cannot open the TM. Trados tells me that the system cannot find the specified file. When I realised of this fact, the client had gone home and I cannot reach him anywhere. The problem is that I had to work on with this TM this weekend!

Does anyone know what can I do?



Many thanks



Natalia Infante







Dear Natalia,

you could try to create a new empty memory, in a different folder, and give to it the same name of the incomplete TM that you have received.

Then, copy the only file that you have received (it should be the tmw file) overwriting the newly created.



At this point, you should be able to open this reconstructed set of files and to recreate the index files (File>Reorganize).



If you have any problem, contact me using the email address on my profile and send me the file that you have.

I will try to fix it for you.

Also, tell me what version of Trados you are using.



Good luck

Gianfranco



[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-19 17:33 ]



Direct link Reply with quote
 

gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:10
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
So, it was a TM after all... Jul 19, 2002



[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-19 17:58 ]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Pro Lingua  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:10
German to Slovak
+ ...
Usually a double click Jul 19, 2002

Usually a double click on the file name (xyz.tmw) in the explorer (or where ever it is saved) is all you have to do. Than open the file to be translated and work with Trados as usual.



Kind regards

Erika


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cant open Trados TM: I have tmw, but not iix files. Any tricks?

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs