Thread poster: Doron Greenspan MITI
Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 21:19
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I am not sure Adobe is the real culprit Jan 4, 2006

You will get similar behaviour with other add-ins in Word - from my point of view, MS Word's way of dealing with custom menus and toolbars is not very well organised; namely, if the programmer does not very carefully take care of the ones that may already be present (and it is not very easy - we can take it for a difficult feature or bug of MS Word, whichever you prefer; and I am not sure you can do it in a 100% reliable way), the older ones get easily lost.

My experience has taught
... See more
You will get similar behaviour with other add-ins in Word - from my point of view, MS Word's way of dealing with custom menus and toolbars is not very well organised; namely, if the programmer does not very carefully take care of the ones that may already be present (and it is not very easy - we can take it for a difficult feature or bug of MS Word, whichever you prefer; and I am not sure you can do it in a 100% reliable way), the older ones get easily lost.

My experience has taught me not to rely on MS Word preserving custom menus and toolbars; I have come to resolving the issue in alternative ways.

Antonin
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:19
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Probably the RoboHelp toolbar Jan 4, 2006

Indeed, I don't believe it's Acrobat that is the culprit. Perhaps it's RoboHelp, whose trial version I have installed recently.

I have three pcs with Trados (one of which is a laptop) and in the other two there's no problem. I compared the Word setup in all, and it seems RoboHelp is the only difference.

But how?

When its trial period is over, I'll uninstall it and report on my findings, hopefully positive ones...

Thanks all again for your gre
... See more
Indeed, I don't believe it's Acrobat that is the culprit. Perhaps it's RoboHelp, whose trial version I have installed recently.

I have three pcs with Trados (one of which is a laptop) and in the other two there's no problem. I compared the Word setup in all, and it seems RoboHelp is the only difference.

But how?

When its trial period is over, I'll uninstall it and report on my findings, hopefully positive ones...

Thanks all again for your great contributions - makes one feel great being part of the Proz community.

Doron
Collapse

annakuz
annakuz
English to Swedish
RoboHelp? Jan 4, 2006

Hmmm.... - I do not even have RoboHelp installed, the problem appeard only after I installed Acrobat!

Anna

Doron Greenspan wrote:

But how?

Thanks all again for your great contributions - makes one feel great being part of the Proz community.

Doron

Xuchun
Xuchun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
That's it! Feb 1, 2006

dgmaga wrote:

Doron Greenspan wrote:

Trados 7 (new 7.1) / Word 2003 / XP
-----------------------------------

This is similar in nature to a 'neighbouring' problem, but not exactly.

I do see the Trados icon in Word as well as the Trados menu, but the Trados toolbar does not appear (even after clicking the Trados icon).
While I can work with the keyboard shortcuts well enough, I was hoping someone may enlighten me about this problem.

Thanks, Doron

Hi, Doron,

Running this macro has helped us with a similar problem.

It might be worth trying:

Sub RestoreTradosToolbar()

Dim objToolbar As CommandBar
Dim colToolbars As CommandBars

Set colToolbars = Application.CommandBars

For Each objToolbar In colToolbars
Debug.Print objToolbar.Name
If objToolbar.Name = "TW4Win" Then

objToolbar.Enabled = True
objToolbar.Visible = True
Exit Sub
End If
Next objToolbar

End Sub

I don't recall having seen this solution in the forum or in the Trados KB, however, but maybe I'm wrong.

Daniel

Thank you guys very much. My similar problem have been solved at last!

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 22:19
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Downgrading to v.6.5 helped... Feb 2, 2006

First of all, I'm glad that the macro helped at least one other guy here.
I "solved" the problem temporarily by downgrading to v.6.5 where the toolbar is back on in its full glory...

Doron

sassa
sassa  Identity Verified
Spanish to Greek
+ ...
RestoreTradosToolbar Macro worked! Mar 15, 2007

dgmaga wrote:

Doron Greenspan wrote:

I do see the Trados icon in Word as well as the Trados menu, but the Trados toolbar does not appear (even after clicking the Trados icon).
While I can work with the keyboard shortcuts well enough, I was hoping someone may enlighten me about this problem.

Thanks, Doron

Hi, Doron,

Exit Sub
End If
Next objToolbar

End Sub

I don't recall having seen this solution in the forum or in the Trados KB, however, but maybe I'm wrong.

Daniel

Daniel,

Thank you ever so much!

After searching the numerous posts in the forum, I tried all other suggestions, but yours really works!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

S.

Sandra de Pablo
Sandra de Pablo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:19
German to Spanish
+ ...
macro worked! Feb 7, 2012

Daniel García wrote:

Doron Greenspan wrote:

Thanks, Doron

Hi, Doron,

Exit Sub
End If
Next objToolbar

End Sub

Daniel

It worked for me, after uninstalling PDFmaker I could see the Trados menu, but not the toolbar. Now I have everything!
Thanks a lot!

Ahmed Badawy
Ahmed Badawy  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 23:19
English to Arabic
+ ...
Better solution Mar 6, 2012

Hi All,
You can try such solution published on the following website;
http://www.stpnordic.com/tfaq/TradosMenuMissingInWord.html

BR,
Ahmed Badawy,
Senior Arabic Translator, Localizer, Interpreter

Ivana UK
Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:19
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Thank you Daniel, also works Word 2010 Mar 24, 2013

Daniel García wrote:

Exit Sub
End If
Next objToolbar

End Sub

Daniel

Well we're seven years down the line and this solution still works, even with Word 2010.

Used workbench today for the first time in a very long time, for a file with footnotes on just about every page. Had no idea how to get the Trados toolbar back when it disappeard form Word add-ins but your marcro did the trick. So thank you for sharing!

Kind Regards,

Ivana

[Edited at 2013-03-24 15:37 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados TOOLBAR not appearing in Word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »