Mobile menu

Trados 5.5 Maintenance feature doesn't work
Thread poster: Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo

Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 19, 2005

I have to do some Find and Replace in a TM supplied by the client. After selecting the criteria to search on the TM (after clicking the File/Maintenance Option), the search begins but there is no results found even if I do know that the segments are on the TM. I have found in ProZ this article but I am not quite sure if in the import/export process I would loose some of the attributes of the TM. The TM has a lot of DTD settings, attributes from other projects...
Does anyone know a way to make the Maintenance feature work? I have tried as well the asterics.
Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:02
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Are you filtering? Dec 19, 2005

I am not (yet) a Trados expert, but I have used Maintenance a lot in Trados 7 (and I think it works the same in 5.5).

You have not mentioned the Filter option, and in my experience you need to use that before you Find and Replace. So on the off-chance that this is the problem, try this. For example, to change 'Yes"' to 'No':

Select File/Maintenance/Filter, then highlight a language or field in the Field list (typically your target language), click Add, enter your word or phrase in the Criterion field with asterisks on either side, e.,g. *Yes* (case-sensitive) and click OK.

Click Begin Search. Up to 5 segments containing Yes will appear. It is often better to set Translation units processed at a time to just 1 (and don't press Enter).

Click Find and Replace. In the language you already selected in Filter, enter Yes in 'Find what', No in 'Replace with'. Click OK.

Click Change, then Translation Units in Current List (or if you are very confident, All Translation Units. Yes changes to No.

Click Next and repeat the Change process.

A safe way of doing this is to export your TM and search in the text for a word you want a change, so that you make absolutely sure that what you enter in the Filter is exactly what is in the TM.

The Trados Maintenance facility is not intuitive or easy-to-use, but once you get the hang of it, it is actually quite effective and powerful.

Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes, I was filtering Dec 20, 2005

And I was using asterics...
Anyway a friend told me a way to solve it without creating a new TM.
The Concordance feature can be used, instead of the Maintenance feature, to find the text. Once you have the results of the search, right-click on the segment (next to the country flag) and you will have two options "Edit the translation unit" or "Delete the translation unit". So you can make the appropriate changes.

Thank you very much and Merry Christmas!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 5.5 Maintenance feature doesn't work

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs