Constance Mannshardt  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:26
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 23, 2005

Hi there!
Working now with Trados 7 and windows XP I was trying to import an "old" TM from T 5.5. So I opened 5.5 (wasn't able to register, couldn't find it) and tryed to open the "old" TM. I got the message above. I can't find the 5 TM-files anymore (search-explorer), although I am sure I havent't removed them. Some other 5.5 TMs I couldn't open, too.
Any idea where they could be?

Direct link Reply with quote

Sabine Odinga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TM-Export/Import Dec 24, 2005

Hi Constance,
have you tried exporting the 'old' 5.5 memory and than importing it into a new TM in 7.0. That's probably the easiest way.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did! Dec 24, 2005

Sabine Odinga wrote:

Hi Constance,
have you tried exporting the 'old' 5.5 memory and than importing it into a new TM in 7.0. That's probably the easiest way.

Oh yes, I did! When I try to open the TM in 5.5 the system gives me the same message. Searching then for the 4 TM-files, I could only find .tmw, although I'm shure I haven't removed any Tm-files!

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Trados 7 has removed Trados 5.5? Dec 24, 2005

I guess this is what happened. When you installed Trados 7, it removed the old version of Trados - though I don't know why it has also hidden or removed some files?

Anyway, I would try to remove Trados 7 from the system, install Trados 5.5 again, export the TM (hopefully), install Trados 7 again and import the TM.

Hopefully, Trados 7 has not actually deleted any of your old TM files, and then the above procedure should work.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
The files either are or are not on the machine Dec 24, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Anyway, I would try to remove Trados 7 from the system, install Trados 5.5 again, export the TM (hopefully), install Trados 7 again and import the TM.

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life. Perhaps you have some backups of your data?

If the original TM files have really disappeared and you have no backup, your only hope might be to reconstruct the TMs from the cleanup backup files Trados makes when cleaning (if you use Trados+Word - they have the .bak extension) or from the bilingual ttx files (if you use TagEditor). As a matter of fact, I started with Trados at 6.0, so I am not 100% sure if it created bak files in version 5, but I do think so.

HTH

Antonin

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
XP does hide files sometimes. Dec 24, 2005

Antonín Otáhal wrote:

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life.

I have tried to find several ordinary files, and sometimes even the search function does not show anything, because these files have been hidden by XP.

Perhaps you should try in the search function - advanced search - to search for hidden files as well, when you search. Hopefully this would help you out.

Germany
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked, but Dec 28, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Antonín Otáhal wrote:

IMHO, uninstalling T7 and reinstalling T5 cannot help. If the files are on the machine, T7 will open them; if they are not, installation of T5 cannot bring them back to life.

I have tried to find several ordinary files, and sometimes even the search function does not show anything, because these files have been hidden by XP.

Perhaps you should try in the search function - advanced search - to search for hidden files as well, when you search. Hopefully this would help you out.

Thank you all for your help. I hadn't time to try out earlier, but Antonins suggestion worked for most of the bak-files. For others I got the message: XConvert could not process..... Could this be due to the language settings? I work with pt-pt and pt-br.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The system cannot find the file specified

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs