Thread poster: Robin Song (X)
Robin Song (X)
Robin Song (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
Dec 24, 2005

Dear All,

Would you give me some information on how to convert an unclean file translated with Trados to an Excel file? Or what software can help me to do so? The Excel worksheet will contain 2 columns, one for source while the other for translation.
Thanks in advance.

Robin Song

shule
shule  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:41
English to Turkish
+ ...
a suggestion Dec 25, 2005

Download the following macro from TW users yahoo group (You must become a member in order to access files section):

"Two-column printout of Trados translations.zip"

Direct l
... See more
Download the following macro from TW users yahoo group (You must become a member in order to access files section):

Direct link: http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wImuQzhlu9gklgWTtesZodVjHOxeeMcz5KCt3U8GUbyOz-sErDRsc95a7Fn8FWv3WSCURyRT_nD71ZDZstNZkLU6beJhla-Gzg/Macros/Macros%20from%20Users/Two-column%20printout%20of%20Trados%20translations.zip

Read the instructions document carefully. If you do everything right you will have a two column word file with source on the left and target on the right. Then you can copy these columns into you Excel file. Hope it works!

[Edited at 2005-12-25 12:55]
Collapse

Robin Song (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The link is dead Dec 26, 2005

Sule Bulbul wrote:

Direct link: http://f2.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wImuQzhlu9gklgWTtesZodVjHOxeeMcz5KCt3U8GUbyOz-sErDRsc95a7Fn8FWv3WSCURyRT_nD71ZDZstNZkLU6beJhla-Gzg/Macros/Macros%20from%20Users/Two-column%20printout%20of%20Trados%20translations.zip

Read the instructions document carefully. If you do everything right you will have a two column word file with source on the left and target on the right. Then you can copy these columns into you Excel file. Hope it works!

[Edited at 2005-12-25 12:55]

Thanks for your kind suggestion. However, the link you provided is not active. Some friends suggest converting the file to an xls by modifying the tags of the original file.

Happy New Year!

shule
shule  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
It's not dead but... Dec 26, 2005

Hi Robin,

The link is not dead,however you must become a member of the group in order to access this file. Go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

and click "Join this group" icon on the right.

Happy new year to you, too.

Robin Song wrote:

Thanks for your kind suggestion. However, the link you provided is not active. Some friends suggest converting the file to an xls by modifying the tags of the original file.

Happy New Year!

Francis Kastalski
Francis Kastalski  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you have not already found a solution Dec 27, 2005

Hello Robin,

Please let me know if you have already solved your issue.
If not, please, emailme: [email protected].
cheers!

Francis

Robin Song (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It converts but... Dec 27, 2005

Hi Sule,

Eventually I downloaded the macro package consisting of 6 macros. When I run one of them, a two-column form really appeared. But the contents in the two columns are the same, both of them contain the uncleaned texts. The format I want is Source-Target. Had you tried these macros before? Anyway, I'd appreciate your great help.

shule
shule  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Just some more suggestions... Dec 27, 2005

Hi again,

You only have to run the first macro; the others must be called upon by each other in turn. You must also be sure that you have all source text in the Trados default blue colour; the target text likewise in the default green/dark green colour. Use the default setting in Workbench (Options > Translated Text Colours; the Suggestion button)as decribed in the instruction file. That's crucial and I think this might be the solution to your case. If not, please try asking in the
... See more
Hi again,

You only have to run the first macro; the others must be called upon by each other in turn. You must also be sure that you have all source text in the Trados default blue colour; the target text likewise in the default green/dark green colour. Use the default setting in Workbench (Options > Translated Text Colours; the Suggestion button)as decribed in the instruction file. That's crucial and I think this might be the solution to your case. If not, please try asking in the TW users forum, the writer of the macro may help you more.

Best wishes,

Sule
Collapse

Robin Song (X)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Dec 28, 2005

Hello Sule,

I changed the color setting and it works.
The only weakpoint to this solution is that the generated form lists the translation by hard returns (paragraphs) instead of segments. You know, we list the translations to help proofreading.

Thanks a mil for your help and useful information.

Thanks for Francis' attention. I will share with you when I get another solution to this issue.

shule
shule  Identity Verified
English to Turkish
+ ...
Glad to hear... Dec 28, 2005

that it has worked at last, though partially:) You can still try asking at TW users forum at yahoo if all the re-shaping will cause you a great burden. There might be some other adjustments to be made in order to get the segments listed instead of whole paragraphs. You may also try replacing the tags with "tags and paragraph marks" if the paragraph marks are what the macro uses to identify cells when converting into tables. Or, try merging the cells and redividing them with the correct number of... See more
that it has worked at last, though partially:) You can still try asking at TW users forum at yahoo if all the re-shaping will cause you a great burden. There might be some other adjustments to be made in order to get the segments listed instead of whole paragraphs. You may also try replacing the tags with "tags and paragraph marks" if the paragraph marks are what the macro uses to identify cells when converting into tables. Or, try merging the cells and redividing them with the correct number of cells. But be sure to have a nice copy of your file first, these are merely suggestions:)Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to convert a translated dirty file to Excel file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »