Mobile menu

Source font change issue -- new lead
Thread poster: Neal Witkowski
Neal Witkowski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Dec 27, 2005

There have been several postings on this issue in the past, but I made a recent "discovery" that might shed some additional light on the subject. You know the problem: open (or close) segment --> unprovoked source font changed --> sleepless nights manually fixing fonts and formatting.

There has been much debate as to the causes and many recommendations for workaround including changing the font settings in Workbench, among others. The problem remained: regardless of settings, the source text should remain untouched.

I was encountering the problem with the following constellation: Trados 6.5 & Word 2002. I recently upgraded to Trados 7.1 in the hopes that this might finally solve the problem (at the very least I could now translate Word documents in TagEditor if a particular document gave me trouble in Word). To my disappointment the problem persisted, however. (That is not to say that the new version doesn't have several improvements that make the upgrade worth it.)

I installed a trial version of Word 2003 and VOILA! Font problem eliminated! Naturally not everyone wants to spend the money upgrading TRADOS and Microsoft Office for a problem that may only occur sporadically. Thus, I would be interested if anyone could explain this behavior, but more importantly whether the same happens only when running a particular release of TRADOS with a particular version of Word.

Thanks!
Neal


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
Member
English to French
For the record Dec 28, 2005

I still encounter such problems with Trados 7.0 AND Word 2003 with some documents. And I still solve this manually... I have never had the time to sit down and search the source of this problem, but I know that it is bound to doc formatting.
Happy new year,
Philippe


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 06:57
Member (2005)
English to German
Same problem Dec 28, 2005

Perhaps I can't follow your explanations quite well here, in any case I have Word 2003 and Trados 7.1, and I still experience those "font changes" once in a while. The problem seems to occur when the segment text itself has a different style than the end-of-line (eol) marker after the segment. Formatting is then taken over from the eol in some cases.

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Neal Witkowski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Perhaps 7.0 vs 7.1 Dec 28, 2005

Hi Philippe. Have you tried upgrading from 7.0 from 7.1? I'd be interested if the problem also persists as with Ricki.

-Neal

[Edited at 2005-12-28 17:13]

[Edited at 2005-12-28 17:16]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
Member
English to French
Will let you know ! Dec 28, 2005

I downloaded this 7.1 version and I will upgrade after 9 January. I will let you know then. Goodnight,
Philippe


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:57
Member
English to French
Follow -up Jan 11, 2006

No luck, Neal. With Trados 7.1 and Office 2003, font changes still occur on certain files...
Goodnight,
Philippe


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Neal Witkowski  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmm Jan 11, 2006

Hi Philippe,

That's too bad. If it's not confidential, I would be interested in having a look at the file in question to see if I have the same problem in which case it would have to be something related to system settings or preferences. Feel free to email it to me at neal@transrender.net. Also, I assume the problem is occuring with a "fresh" TM having only TRADOS default settings?

Regards,
Neal


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Same problem Oct 14, 2007

I am using Trados 7.1 and MS word 2003. I am facing the same problem.

Font changes from Arabic into Chinese.

It started with Index Error. After reorganzing Workbench and Multiterm the problem disappeared.

Then after a number of segments font started to change into Chinese.

If a colleague has a solution, I'll appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Sami


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sami Khamou  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:57
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thank you Sangro Oct 14, 2007

Thank you Sangro,

Applying styles sorted out the font change problem. As soon as I applied styles, as you suggested, all the Chinese text changed back to the right Arabic font.

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Sami


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source font change issue -- new lead

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs