Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
Dec 29, 2005

I had Trados 6.5 installed on my main laptop. I had to send the machine away for repair. I then tried to load Trados 6.5 and also 7 on my backup laptop. The software has installed and I can open existing translation memories in some of my selected languages. However, when I try to create a new memory, I only see variants of English in the source and target windows, although I have selected four other languages. I have deinstalled and reinstalled each version three times, but the same thing happe... See more
I had Trados 6.5 installed on my main laptop. I had to send the machine away for repair. I then tried to load Trados 6.5 and also 7 on my backup laptop. The software has installed and I can open existing translation memories in some of my selected languages. However, when I try to create a new memory, I only see variants of English in the source and target windows, although I have selected four other languages. I have deinstalled and reinstalled each version three times, but the same thing happens each time.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening and what I can do to cure it. I cannot find any useful information on the Trados web site nor a telephone number for enquiries.

Thanks
krys
Collapse

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
2 options to try Dec 29, 2005

I can't say why this is happening, but I would suggest trying one or both of the following:
a)Try uninstalling both versions and then just re-install one of them. I had problems sometimes running both versions on the same machine, although not with the results you describe, and this procedure fixed it.
b)try running the file $SelfRegister_2KXP.bat which you can find in the TT folder of Trados. This has fixed some bizarre, undocumented and unexplained problems for me.
Hope that
... See more
I can't say why this is happening, but I would suggest trying one or both of the following:
a)Try uninstalling both versions and then just re-install one of them. I had problems sometimes running both versions on the same machine, although not with the results you describe, and this procedure fixed it.
b)try running the file $SelfRegister_2KXP.bat which you can find in the TT folder of Trados. This has fixed some bizarre, undocumented and unexplained problems for me.
Hope that helps
Collapse

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
solution found Dec 29, 2005

Hi Ronnie,

I ran the file you mentioned, but this threw up numerous error messages about files not being recognised. These referred to files from Microsoft .Net Framework. Therefore, I reinstalled the .Net Framework as supplied with Multiterm. That then got German and Spanish showing. After this, I discovered I had to insert more languages into the regional settings, but before I could change these, I needed to download a Microsoft service pack... Finally, about 5 hours after the
... See more
Hi Ronnie,

I ran the file you mentioned, but this threw up numerous error messages about files not being recognised. These referred to files from Microsoft .Net Framework. Therefore, I reinstalled the .Net Framework as supplied with Multiterm. That then got German and Spanish showing. After this, I discovered I had to insert more languages into the regional settings, but before I could change these, I needed to download a Microsoft service pack... Finally, about 5 hours after the first install attempt I had my E. European languages showing too.

Thanks for your advice. It gave the necessary lead that was required.

krys
Collapse

Ronnie Halpern
Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Better late than never Dec 29, 2005

Hello Krys,

I'm glad it fixed your problem, although I'm surprised it took so long - in my case it was just a minute.
I guess from what you said that there were a number of things that needed to be sorted out, but at least it told you what they were.

Regards,

Ronnie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems installing on second computer

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »