Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 13:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 31, 2005

I did a long translation in TE, where I had used an old TM. Now I want to get a fresh TM with only the new segments (for the customer). I opened the empty TM provided by the customer (no project files provided). When I collect the ttx-files for cleanup and click Cleanup, TM puts out an error message "Class not registered". And the TM stays empty. I tried also to save the targets into rtf, but that does not seem to update the TM either.
What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go through the fil
... See more
I did a long translation in TE, where I had used an old TM. Now I want to get a fresh TM with only the new segments (for the customer). I opened the empty TM provided by the customer (no project files provided). When I collect the ttx-files for cleanup and click Cleanup, TM puts out an error message "Class not registered". And the TM stays empty. I tried also to save the targets into rtf, but that does not seem to update the TM either.
What am I doing wrong? Do I have to go through the files and press alt++ for every segment?

Thanks for help, if not this year at least next year, please!

Happy new Year to all!
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:14
English to German
+ ...
File types and versions? Dec 31, 2005

Hallo Heinrich,
Can you please provide some more background information? Specifically:

- What is the source file type of the TTX files?
- What's your Trados version?

Best regards,
Ralf

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
a few things to try Dec 31, 2005

- re-register Trados on your machine

- reinstall Microsoft .NET

If neither helps, you can use a "Windows macro" program to go through the segments automatically.

HTH

Antonin

P.S.

Let me wish a happy new year to anyone who may read this one

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version 6.5.5.441 Dec 31, 2005

Should I try v. 7? With this customer I routinely use 6.5, because his files cannot be openen in 7, I don't know why.
There was no problem with the actual translation. Do I need to change some settings?
The files are rtf.ttx.
Regards
Heinrich

[Edited at 2005-12-31 13:21]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Source file format? Jan 1, 2006

Hi again,
There was no problem with the actual translation. Do I need to change some settings?
The files are rtf.ttx.

The fact that you could translate them without problems would indicate that the problem is somehow related to the source file format. Do you know what the original format is?

Best regards,
Ralf

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
English to German
+ ...
Using TRADOS 6.5.x and SDL TRADOS 7 parallel + Workbench Project Settings Jan 3, 2006

Dear Heinrich,

happy new year to you, too.

You can work with TRADOS 7 and/or TRADOS 6.5x. However, please make sure to register each version before you work with it. In your Windows Start Menu you will find the TRADOS 6 and 7 folders with links called "Register TRADOS 6.5" and "Register SDL TRADOS 7".
You will need to register again each time you switch between versions.
Please do not mix version components. I.e. please do not use Workbench 6 with TagEditor
... See more
Dear Heinrich,

happy new year to you, too.

You can work with TRADOS 7 and/or TRADOS 6.5x. However, please make sure to register each version before you work with it. In your Windows Start Menu you will find the TRADOS 6 and 7 folders with links called "Register TRADOS 6.5" and "Register SDL TRADOS 7".
You will need to register again each time you switch between versions.
Please do not mix version components. I.e. please do not use Workbench 6 with TagEditor 7 or vice versa.
After registering 7 or 6 you should no longer get the "Class not registered" message during clean up.

I opened the empty TM provided by the customer (no project files provided). When I collect the ttx-files for cleanup and click Cleanup, TM puts out an error message "Class not registered". And the TM stays empty.

Please note that the WPS files (Workbench Project Settings) are simple text files providing settings for the Workbench "Filters" (i.e. the Translation Unit's Metadata Settingd). Please note that the TM will need to have the metadata fields set before importing the wps files. If you do did not get a WPS file from you customer and if you are not explicitly instructed to work with it in your project, you do not need a WPS file.
WPS files are sometimes provided to make setting up the meta data fields for the translator more easy. Meta-Data fields are used to add (useful) information to the translation units. E.g. you can use them in your own TMs, to distinguish between translations for websites, user manuals or marketing brochures. Or you could add meta data with the project number, client name or what ever. Later on, you could use the Workbench Project Settings to "filter" the translation units in your TM for translation, maintenance or export. E.g. you can use filter settings to export all Translation Units you did for a specific job.

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Should I try v. 7? With this customer I routinely use 6.5, because his files cannot be openen in 7, I don't know why.
[Edited at 2005-12-31 13:21]

The files rtf.ttx you got for translation are TTX files and can be translated in both TRADOS 6.x *and* SDL TRADOS 7.x. You can open TTX files created e.g. from FrameMaker in both versions without any problems. It is recommended to translate them in SDL TRADOS 7. If the TM you got from you client is version TRADOS 6, you can open it in TRADOS 7 and work as usual. Opening version 6 TMs in SDL TRADOS 7 will not "convert" or "update" the TMs to version 7. You can work with SDL TRADOS 7 Workbench and TagEditor and don't need to worry about version compatibilities with you client if they are using 6.5x.
However, please note that if you create a new TM in SDL TRADOS 7 from the scratch, version 6.x users will not be able to open this TM. You will need to export the TM.

Best,
*Stefan.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That was it Jan 3, 2006

Thank you Stefan, now it works. I never thought of having to register the Trados version I use. Now WB did analyse and export, and I can get on with the project.
Regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WB does not update TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »