Trados Translator's Workbench > Tools > Translate... > Error-message: [-2147467261]: [null]
Thread poster: Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
Local time: 09:18
German to Hungarian
Jan 2, 2006

I would like to know, if someone came across this error-message and if someone knows a solution.

Details of the problem are as follows:

I use to translate *.chm files as parts of an online Help for a software.

Since I've finished with the translating of an older version of this help-topics, I would have to translate it again, but with a renewed brand. Texts are changed too, but the changes were little, so I could change the words in the translation memory.<
... See more
I would like to know, if someone came across this error-message and if someone knows a solution.

Details of the problem are as follows:

I use to translate *.chm files as parts of an online Help for a software.

Since I've finished with the translating of an older version of this help-topics, I would have to translate it again, but with a renewed brand. Texts are changed too, but the changes were little, so I could change the words in the translation memory.

The selected chm contains ~2400 pieces of short htm-files, where the matches for the tu-s are always 100%, so I decided not to open and save all the 2400 pieces again, but to translate them automatically with one of the funktions of the Workbench: Tools > Translate...

As the error-message on the 22.12.2005 appeared, I thought, it can be only an unimportant failure, which can be resolved in minutes, so I contacted the Hungarian Trados support. Today the contact-person wrote, she wasn't able to put up more means of solution: we have tried re-registering, re-installing, new tm, moving files and tm-s - but nothing had worked.

SDL Online Support Team asked a question, but I was on holiday, so I couldnot replay within 96 Hours and missed my question to be resolved.

I found a similar message on the page
http://www.proz.com/topic/35450
, but it's not the same problem indeed.

I'm using SDL Trados TW 7.1.0.719.

Has anybody ever had the same problem? Knows somebody a solution?

Or does anybody know an other method to translate a large number of files with already known tu-s?

Thanks
Zita

[Edited at 2006-01-02 16:32]
Collapse

Alpár-László Krecht
Alpár-László Krecht  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:18
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Termbase Jan 2, 2006

I don't know if it's help you: i have an older Trados, but recently i have a same problem (with different error mesage 2147417851:0) and problem was that the Termbase was empty/not correct created.

Üdv

Alpár

Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
German to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Renewed tm doesn't help either Jan 3, 2006

Alpár-László Krecht wrote:

i have an older Trados, but recently i have a same problem (with different error mesage 2147417851:0) and problem was that the Termbase was empty/not correct created.

Hi Alpár,

I have already tried to use different tm-s (from different drivers) anyway, but now when you wrote about incorrect tm-s, I have tried to correct the tm (I'm certain, you do know the method, as an other tm will be made and the file .tmw deleted), it just didn't help either: the error-message remains.

The size of the tm is ~43 MB. Could it be the reason of the error?

Üdv
Zita

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Reset Termbase Location in Term recognition options Jan 3, 2006

Hi Petran,
This happened to me last night. I was getting null and other error messages after I’d moved the folder/directory I keep my main Tms and Termbases in.

I managed to sort it by putting everything back as it was and resetting the Term recognition settings. I also reinstalled the program before finding the solution, but I don’t think that’s necessary.

Basically I think Trados is unable to find the termbase you selected in the Term recognition options w
... See more
Hi Petran,
This happened to me last night. I was getting null and other error messages after I’d moved the folder/directory I keep my main Tms and Termbases in.

I managed to sort it by putting everything back as it was and resetting the Term recognition settings. I also reinstalled the program before finding the solution, but I don’t think that’s necessary.

Basically I think Trados is unable to find the termbase you selected in the Term recognition options window.

Try opening Workbench/Options/Term recognition options. Now click on browse in Termbase location to select the termbase. Here you will see if you’re trying to select one that no longer exists at that path. If this is the case either restore the termbase (with its .ldb file) to where it was and select it again, or deselect “Replace terms” in the Termbase options, or find a way to select the termbase where it is now. If you deselect Replace terms obviously the Translate function won’t translate the terms automatically.

If you need to reset the path of a TM, use the File/Open command. For a TM to work it should be in the same folder as the other 4 (hidden) files of that TM.

Good luck.
Jo
Collapse

Zita Petrán
Zita Petrán
German to Hungarian
TOPIC STARTER
Success Jan 3, 2006

Jo Macdonald wrote:

r deselect “Replace terms” in the Termbase options, or find a way to select the termbase where it is now. If you deselect Replace terms obviously the Translate function won’t translate the terms automatically.
[...]
[/quote]

Hi all!

Thanx Jo, it helped me apparently, to select Translate Terms > Don't.

The matter is viz., that I usually don't use Termbases, because the one I had contained already old terms as I took this job. But I didn't know until now, this line was related to the use of termbases.

Good work for you all
Zita

rcmold
rcmold  Identity Verified
German to English
Help! How do I slect a new termbase? Jul 7, 2007

Again its simple things that caus problems. I have been sent a term base to use. under terminology recognition options I select browse, the term base I was sent isn't offered. The dialog box does not offer the possibility to browse through files like windows usually does. How do I get to select the termbase which has been sent to me?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Translator's Workbench > Tools > Translate... > Error-message: [-2147467261]: [null]

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »