Helena Diaz del Real  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:54
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 5, 2006

Hello!
Just a very simple question:
How do you calculate the prices for your trados work, if you are asked upon matchings?
What I mean: How do you calculate prices for 1 word in Trados if 50% matches; 100% matches, and so on?
Thank you for your answers!
Have a wonderful 2006
Helena

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Load the analysis file into a spreadsheet Jan 5, 2006

You practically have to build a small table in Excel, which calculates the price for you. Once this is done, you just fill in the new analysis result (number of words for no match, 75-90% match etc.) and Excel shows the result. Each row is calculated with the weighting you agreed upon with the customer and the last column is summed. You need one table for each customer, if the wordprice is not the same.
Be careful though and check, if it makes sense.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
easier Jan 5, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

You practically have to build a small table in Excel, which calculates the price for you. Once this is done, you just fill in the new analysis result (number of words for no match, 75-90% match etc.) and Excel shows the result. Each row is calculated with the weighting you agreed upon with the customer and the last column is summed. You need one table for each customer, if the wordprice is not the same.
Be careful though and check, if it makes sense.

just go to:

www.catcount.com

there is explained all you need to know

Rgds

Toledo

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Heinrich and Toledo: Thank you very much! Jan 5, 2006

Hello!
First of all, I thank you very much for your answers.
However I think I said wrong what I meant and due to that it may have been missunderstood. So, I apologize for that.
With my question, what I wanted to know is, when an agency asks me wich % less do I apply for TRADOS 80% matching (or 30%, or 100%,...) which % do people use to give.
To calculate how much it is, both of your tipps are great, but my question was heading to know which discount do people in average make to a translation wit XX% TRADOS matches.
I use to get the question put many times and I do not know what the usual praxis is.
So, once more I thank you very much for your help
Have a wonderful, healthy and succesful 2006
Helena

[Edited at 2006-01-05 18:20]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
There are different approaches Jan 5, 2006

As the basic policy, I recommend charging "text processing rate" (at about 50% of the full rate) for repetitions and 100% matches (and perhaps 95-99%, it may depend of the character of the text); full rate for the rest.

You could think of and negotiate some other, more complicated rules; but perhaps keeping it simple is the best policy...

Some customers want to pay zero for repetitions and 100% matches, arguing they do not want the translator to change them. However, I find it dificult to comply with such requirements (the customers usually do not realise that the 100% matches you are supposed to leave alone should be consistent with the new translation) and I usually refuse such jobs.

I believe you will find some discussions on the topic on this and other ProZ forums.

HTH

Antonin

[Edited at 2006-01-05 18:34]

[Edited at 2006-01-05 18:35]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Take a look at the link Jan 5, 2006

Helena1962 wrote:

wich % less do I apply for TRADOS 80% matching (or 30%, or 100%,...) which % do people use to give.

[Edited at 2006-01-05 18:20]

Just read the link, so you will see a schema with a "normal" (good for the freelancer) calculation, but sometimes it not depends of you.

you can accept the analysis from the agency or not...

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:54
Flemish to English
+ ...
Simple. Jan 5, 2006

Simple: 0% discount or for every discounted word they get the agreed percentage of that word translated.

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 15:54
English to Russian
Time and productivity are the basis Jan 6, 2006

Helena1962 wrote: To calculate how much it is, both of your tipps are great, but my question was heading to know which discount do people in average make to a translation wit XX% TRADOS matches.
I use to get the question put many times and I do not know what the usual praxis is.

There is no usual practice I would say: every agency has a budget and wants to be cost-effective, they are happy to accept all sorts of discounts. I know folks who accept discounts for 50% matches, for example.
My approach is - I give discounts based on the time I am going to save re-using the TU from the TM rather than translating the sentence again. The second factor is the qualtiy of the matches served from the TM (assuming that thу TM is a quality-checked database, which is not always the case).
Thus, what I charge now is very much in line with Trados' own policies: 30-50% of the rate for 100% matches and repetitions and 60-80% of the base rate for matches from 99 to 85%. Matches 84% and below don't get discounted.
Where I got this 85%? I did quite a lot of research and came to a conclusion that an average 85% TM hit is about the same as an average machine translation, the latter getting better and better because MT knows parts of speech and all sorts of stuff, while CAT tools just count letters and spaces, no matter how complex the procedure might be.
If a client insists on discounts for matches below 85% I sometimes offer to MT their texts for them free of charge.

HTH
Happy translating!
Aleksandr

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thank you very much to all of you Jan 13, 2006

So, Heinrich, Antonin, Toledo, Williamson and Aleksandr!
Thank you very much for your help.
In fact you asre right with that what you say, as your work is done, with or without trados, It is indeed a help to get 85% matches but there is anyway work involved to fit it with the original text, anyway.
So I thank you very much!
Have a wonderful 2006!
Helena

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 7.1 - Match- Prices

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs