https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/41066-importing_a_txt_file_into_multiterm.html

Importing a .txt file into MultiTerm
Thread poster: Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra
Rufino Pérez De La Sierra  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 7, 2006

Thanks in advance to everyone!

I have a .txt file with the following format:

Accessory Power Outlets
Conexiones para accesorios
(If Equiped)
(si así está equipado)

I need to make a MultiTerm termbase that I can use to translate a few manuals. I have MultiTerm version 6.0.1.209 (build 209).

I have used Multi Covert and have a .xml file but I cannot seem to get into something I can use, and th
... See more
Thanks in advance to everyone!

I have a .txt file with the following format:

Accessory Power Outlets
Conexiones para accesorios
(If Equiped)
(si así está equipado)

I need to make a MultiTerm termbase that I can use to translate a few manuals. I have MultiTerm version 6.0.1.209 (build 209).

I have used Multi Covert and have a .xml file but I cannot seem to get into something I can use, and this project is for this weekend....

Help!!!

Rufino
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:47
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Importing a .txt file into MultiTerm Jan 7, 2006

First you have to convert the TXT file into a more suitable format, for example Excel. Open the TXT file in Word, replace the paragraph ends between terms by tabs and remove the asterisks to have something like this:

Accessory Power Outlets[tab]Conexiones para accesorios
(If Equiped)[tab](si así está equipado)

Now select all, convert the text into table and copy to an empty Excel sheet. Insert one line in the beginning with "English" and "Spanish" headings and s
... See more
First you have to convert the TXT file into a more suitable format, for example Excel. Open the TXT file in Word, replace the paragraph ends between terms by tabs and remove the asterisks to have something like this:

Now select all, convert the text into table and copy to an empty Excel sheet. Insert one line in the beginning with "English" and "Spanish" headings and save.

Convert the Excel sheet with MultiTerm Convert. In MultiTerm, create a new termbase based on the termbase definition file created by MT Convert and import the XML file.
Collapse

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Hynek, but... Jan 7, 2006

My txt file is 50 pages long, so I'll get to delete and replace (I am assuming I have to delete all instances of English, Spanish, **, right?), and then I'll try your approach. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Rufino

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Search and replace Jan 7, 2006

The length of the document doesn't matter, you can use a global search and replace:

replace ^p**^p with xyzxyz
replace ^p with ^t
replace xyzxyz with ^p

(Supposing your document looks exactly as shown above.)

P.S. Then check the first and last line if they were changed correctly. If not, edit them manually.

[Edited at 2006-01-07 01:37]

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, but.... Jan 7, 2006

Do I have to delete the English and Spanish?

Do I convert into one or two columns?

Thanks

Rufino

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Columns Jan 7, 2006

I'm not sure what you mean by English and Spanish; delete all extra information that might be present in the file. But you will need a heading for the language columns in the beginning of the document - either in Word, or in Excel. The columns should be called English and Spanish. Like this:

English[tab]Spanish

Convert into two columns, of course. That's why you
... See more
I'm not sure what you mean by English and Spanish; delete all extra information that might be present in the file. But you will need a heading for the language columns in the beginning of the document - either in Word, or in Excel. The columns should be called English and Spanish. Like this:

English[tab]Spanish

Convert into two columns, of course. That's why you need to insert the tab character - to be used as the column separator. One column for English, one for Spanish.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Outdated MTiX version Jan 7, 2006

Hi Rufino,
I moved the topic to Trados Support.

Which is an outdated version that was replaced by 6.2.0.267 in the summer of 2003, and subsequently updated to build 287.

The problem with the early version of MT Convert (which is called Conversion Utility, IIRC) is that it cannot handle Excel conversions. That said, your text export looks like an export from MT5.x - if you can get your hands on the .mtw file, you should be able to convert that.

Still, I would strongly recommend to upgrade.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hynek Palatin
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Update Jan 7, 2006

Ralph is right, I didn't pay attention to the version number.

Also, I didn't notice that you actually wrote that your file was in the following format, because the <English> and <Spanish> strings were interpreted as HTML tags and hidden:

<English>Accessory Power Outlets
<Spanish>Conexiones para accesorios
<English>(If Equiped)
<Spanish>(si así está equipado)

So you were right
... See more
Ralph is right, I didn't pay attention to the version number.

Also, I didn't notice that you actually wrote that your file was in the following format, because the <English> and <Spanish> strings were interpreted as HTML tags and hidden:

<English>Accessory Power Outlets
<Spanish>Conexiones para accesorios
<English>(If Equiped)
<Spanish>(si así está equipado)

So you were right - remove <English> and <Spanish>.

If this is really an export from MultiTerm, it would be best for you to get the source termbase.

If that is not possible, you can still import the file. If your version of MT Convert utility doesn't support the Excel format, you can save the Excel file as CSV (CSV import should be supported, I guess).
Collapse

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralph Jan 7, 2006

Now I have two questions.... Can you please tell me hot to convert the mtw file? I have it.

As to upgrade, my user name and password in Translation zone is not working, I have sent them an email, but I'm afraid they won't respond in time...

Any help will be apreciated.

Rufino

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Converted mtw file, but Jan 7, 2006

But still something is not working.

Can you please tell me what to do after I convert the mtw file? I now got a .xml file, try to import the entries, using the Import Wizard, and I get a message saying 0 (zero) entris proceesed.

Thanks!

rufino

I just read the log file created during conversion, and got this message for every entry:

Entry number 1 (1) does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Sou
... See more
But still something is not working.

Can you please tell me what to do after I convert the mtw file? I now got a .xml file, try to import the entries, using the Import Wizard, and I get a message saying 0 (zero) entris proceesed.

Thanks!

rufino

I just read the log file created during conversion, and got this message for every entry:

Entry number 1 (1) does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Source:

Can you please tell me what this means?

Thanks again!

Rufino

[Edited at 2006-01-07 12:21]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Conversion returns *two* files Jan 7, 2006

Hi again,
I don't think the upgrade would still be freely available on TranslationZone - after all, this was launched almost two and a half years ago...

Cannot remember the details of that version, as I never used it myself, but conversion of MTW files usually yields two files: a termbase definition (.xdt) and the import file (.xml). Have you used the termbase definition when creating the termbase you're trying to import to? If not, you must ensure that the structure of the termbase matches the structure of the import (and vice versa).

HTH, Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Got it! Jan 7, 2006

Ralph, you have saved me yet again! If you ever come to Halifax I'll be more than happy to buy you dinner, or give you some free skiing lessons!

Thanks you very much!

I used the termbase definitions to make a new termbase, then imported the mtw file, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you very much!

Than you too Hynek, you were very kind and I really appreciate your help!

Rufino

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi again,
I don't think the upgrade would still be freely available on TranslationZone - after all, this was launched almost two and a half years ago...

Cannot remember the details of that version, as I never used it myself, but conversion of MTW files usually yields two files: a termbase definition (.xdt) and the import file (.xml). Have you used the termbase definition when creating the termbase you're trying to import to? If not, you must ensure that the structure of the termbase matches the structure of the import (and vice versa).

HTH, Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a corollary question... Jan 7, 2006

why MultiTerm and not plain vanilla Translation memory? MultiTerm asks for more then you need (all those *.x something files...) , making the situation unduly complicated. Plus having a Translation memory work with is somehow more ... natural. Your examples are somewhere between a dictionary entry and a standard TM segment...

TiA

smo

PS: if you do decide to make a TM instead, well, we're all on stand by;)

[Edited at 2006-01-07 21:56]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a .txt file into MultiTerm

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »