Thread poster: Mikolaj Rasmussen

Mikolaj Rasmussen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 16:33
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2006

Trados' (6) help menu admits that Trado's has this problem and explains lenghtily how to solve it referring to a list od commands which I cannot localize. It all sound extremely complicated and time-consuming as always with Trados. Can anyone help?
Wordfast does not have this type of problem. Can one create a file and TM in Wordfast and then convert it it to TRADOS? Or send it to the client for conversion? It works the other way round for sure as I have done it. Many thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Jan 14, 2006

...to Trados Support - please use this forum to post Trados-related topics.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
I have a small program Jan 14, 2006

which resolves the issue for Czech and some other alphabets (I got it for free from the Trados local support in the Czech Republic).

I don’t think I can attach files to e-mails sent via this forum, but if you give me your e-mail, I can send it directly to you - you can try to use it...

Antonin
info@otahal.cz

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Before you place such statements, please make absolutly clear what you mean Jan 14, 2006

Any of Trados versions I know (back to 3.0) did and still does recognize polish characters. Both ways, BTW.
The earlier versions had problems, when charcter mix occured, ie polish adress in a german text - then the polish characters get corrupted. But not when translating.
I admit that there where some problems, but mostly caused by formatting issues in Word - so not by Trados or Word, but only by the author of the text.

So please tell me preciselly what do you want to do. Such statement "Trados does not recognize polish characters" is false. I´m working with Trados since very long and can assure you - it works. If you use some search in this forum, you will also find numerous discussions about character and formatting problems. With Trados 7 nearly all such kind issues belong to the past.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-01-14 20:20]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Well, I am not sure about Polish characters Jan 14, 2006

but I started using Trados 6.0 and immeditaely had problems with Czech characters (all of them were displayed incorrectly in the translated text in both Word and TagEditor) until the Czech support team sent me the program I am speaking about (and they knew very well what I was speaking about when I consulted the problem with them)- but it is more a matter of your charset settings in Windows than "pure Trados" issue.

Antonin

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m afraid we are speaking about different things Jan 14, 2006

Please take into account, that I´m working with german operating system and german Office - and still, I never had problems of that kind, that all characters were allways shown incorrectly.

I use the deafult settings of Windows. Windows does not interfere with font settings in Word documents. So the character issue is mostly the issue of improper font or other formatting.

To make it very clear:

• Windows with default settings.
  • Polish characters ONLY with: Arial, Courier New and Times New Roman. If other fonts are used, you will need either to adapt the code page (ie replace characters manually) or change the font. Not all fonts do contain special characters for all lanugages. To keep it short: Arial, Courier New and TNR are so called Open Type Fonts, supporting Unicode. Therefore no problems (with small exceptions, as allways) with polish characters. Then you have PostScript and TrueType fonts. These must be designed to contain polish (czech) characters.
  • Word with default setings.
  • When I get a document to translate, I first check the formatting, than change the font and the language to target! Very important.
  • If you use a printer with PostScript driver make sure, that the fonts are not substituted by the printer.

But please don´t come with such general statements as above! Once again, I started with Trados 3 and could translate into Polish "out of the box"! And there were certain improvements in Trados since then.

Best
Jerzy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dear Jerzy, no need to get so excited Jan 14, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But please don´t come with such general statements as above!

Best
Jerzy

But I do not think you should tell me what I am or am not allowed to say as long as I do not say anything incorrect or untrue. And what is "general" about my description of what happened to me, I wonder?

Let me repeat: I started using Trados, which was 6.0 then, and nearly all characters (except for a few such as "í" or "á") were displayed incorrectly. I contacted the Trados support, they said it was normal, my settings needed a correction, and they sent me the application. It corrected the situation. It was all done smoothly and efficiently, I would not even think about it twice, if you were not telling me it could not happen. Are you indicating I am a liar or it was a dream?

And I did not say antyhing about the reasons because I did not and do not know what they were. Actually, I don't care if it was my Widnows settings or anything else; it was easy to correct and that is what was and is important from my point of view.

Antonin

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please take a look at the title of this thread Jan 14, 2006

this is a very general statement and this is what I critisized. Sorry, if that was not clear.
No offence was meant.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-01-14 20:55]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Sorry about the misunderstanding then. Jan 14, 2006

Obviously I did not understand which exact words of yours were meant for me.

No offence taken.

Antonin

Robert Zawadzki  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
See http://support.trados.com/faq.asp#984 Jan 14, 2006

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I must have had a bad day yesterday Jan 15, 2006

and overreacted somehow.
No offence was meant, sorry for beeing that aggressive.

Now, to be able to provide any help we would need to know your exact problem.
The solution from Trados KB, provided by robert, might be helpful. However, after I apllied this change some time ago the behaviour of other programs was distrubed, as they got problems with displaying special charachters, as symbols and so on. This applies to my german operating system.

So please state:

• Full version of your Trados.
  • What program are you using in conjuctin with Trados. I assume it is Word. If so, please state, which version.
  • What kind of font is used in your document.
  • Are polish characters corrupted also in your Translation Memory.
  • What do you exactly mean with "does not recognize polish characters.

Thank you
Kind regards
Jerzy

Mikolaj Rasmussen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Polish characters in Trados Jan 16, 2006

I use Trados 6 with with MWord, XP. I tried several fonts and in all the Polish characters get corrupted, also in the TM. Wordfast does not give thses problems in the same computer. Neither did the previous Trados version.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What is the language of your document? Jan 16, 2006

Is there any Asian language defined? If yes, than you ned to remove that.
If you don´t mnid, please send me the file (or the files) in question per e-mail, so I´ll be able to take a look on them. Use info ma³pa doku-trans dot de. Thank you

Best
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Trados does not recognize Polish characters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs