Lost Trados entry in the MS word main menu
Thread poster: Alexander Chisholm

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:01
Italian to English
+ ...
Jan 24, 2006

Hi there.

I have experienced a couple of problems recebntly with Trados (ver. 6.5) running on an XP home machine with Word 2003.

Specifically, I no longer have the Trados (text) drop-down menu. MultiTerm is till there, and the toolbars are still there. I have looked in Tools -> Templates and add-ins, and it is still checked. Anything else I can do to bring this back?

The reason I'm asking is in relation to another problem:-
occasionally Trados hangs, or if I close a word document without closing the active TU, when I restart word or reopen the document, I cannot so anything with it. If I reboot, and use the Trados option in the word top level menu, I can still get access to the "fix document" option and that then lets me continue.

Do I need to reinstall? Would this fix the problem?

Does anyone have a less drastic fix?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Direct link Reply with quote

Chen Star
Local time: 03:01
English to Chinese
+ ...
you can get a micro tool in you Jan 24, 2006

there are micro of the displaying the menu , displaying the tool bars of the trados,

and all of the trados just are micro in you word, you can put the micro in you tool bars.

Gabi Franz
English to German
Trados menu lost in Word Jan 24, 2006

Hi Alexander,

Do you have Acrobat and the Acrobat add-in for Word installed? If so, this is the reason for your problem. The Acrobat menu covers the Trados menu, so you can't use it anymore. Try disabling the Acrobat add-in and see, if your Trados menu "re-appears".

If the only menu option you really need is "Fix document", Chen Star is right. The Trados commands are Word macros, so you can add them as buttons to a toolbar.
You can find detailed information here: http://www.proz.com/topic/40660

Best regards,
Gabi

Alexander Chisholm wrote:

Hi there.

I have experienced a couple of problems recebntly with Trados (ver. 6.5) running on an XP home machine with Word 2003.

Specifically, I no longer have the Trados (text) drop-down menu. MultiTerm is till there, and the toolbars are still there. I have looked in Tools -> Templates and add-ins, and it is still checked. Anything else I can do to bring this back?

The reason I'm asking is in relation to another problem:-
occasionally Trados hangs, or if I close a word document without closing the active TU, when I restart word or reopen the document, I cannot so anything with it. If I reboot, and use the Trados option in the word top level menu, I can still get access to the "fix document" option and that then lets me continue.

Do I need to reinstall? Would this fix the problem?

Does anyone have a less drastic fix?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Alexander Chisholm  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Jan 25, 2006

I'll check out the macro etc. mentioned in the link, although I think longer term I may reinstall everything.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lost Trados entry in the MS word main menu

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs