Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
MultiTerm help (looking to incorporate file alignment)
Thread poster: xxxBAmary
xxxBAmary  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

I have aligned two documents with WinAlign. Now, I'd like to add the alignment to my database in MultiTerm.

Does anyone know how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-01-25 16:49]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:50
English to German
+ ...
Why MultiTerm? Jan 25, 2006

Hi,
Is there a particular reason why you want to import this into MultiTerm (which is a terminology management tool)? I would normally import the alignment into a translation memory.

Assuming that there is a reason for this, could you please indicate which versions you're using (full version number including the 'build number', please - go to Help - About... to find out)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 6.5 freelance Jan 25, 2006

That's all the information I have. It's not mine. It's the company's I work for...

The reason to import it into MultiTerm is that they want me to create a terminology database.

Thanks!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Which MultiTerm version? Jan 25, 2006

Hi again,
That's all the information I have. It's not mine. It's the company's I work for...

But don't you have access to the software?
If you do, you can check the version number in the way I described.

The reason to import it into MultiTerm is that they want me to create a terminology database.

Ok, but did you really align terminology (=single terms or concepts, as opposed to whole sentences)? If you aligned sentences (as one would expect), you will need to extract terminology from the TM created as a result of the alignment, but that's a separate process.

Can you please clarify that?

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Jan 26, 2006

Hi Ralf,

I asked the IT person to give me the CDs, so tomorrow when I get to the office I'll give you the info yure asking.

Ok, but did you really align terminology (=single terms or concepts, as opposed to whole sentences)? If you aligned sentences (as one would expect), you will need to extract terminology from the TM created as a result of the alignment, but that's a separate process.

Can you please clarify that?

Yes, I aligned only terminology, not definitions. I already populated the Translation Memory with it, but I can't find a way to enter it into the database (MultiTerm).

I also have Term Extract, in case I need to extract terminology, but as I was saying, I just aligned words (French, English, Spanish).

Thanks a lot for your patience

Germany
English to German
+ ...
MultiTerm Convert - depending on the software version... Jan 26, 2006

Hi again,
Let me start with a general note: responding to individual points is easier (and clearer to others) if you use the quoting function. See the forum FAQ for details.

I asked the IT person to give me the CDs, so tomorrow when I get to the office I'll give you the info yure asking.

You will not find the version number on the CDs - as I said earlier, please go to Help - About in MultiTerm to find out (assuming that the software is installed, of course).

I also have Term Extract, in case I need to extract terminology, but as I was saying, I just aligned words (French, English, Spanish).

OK, I see - in that case (unless you really need these in the TM) the alignment was probably unnecessary. Which format were those words in?

MT has a conversion utility called MultiTerm Convert, which lets you import terminology from a variety of source formats, including CSV, Excel or the old MT5.x format. The reason why I keep asking about your version is that MT Convert wasn't really usable in the first version (6.0.x), but pretty good from 6.2.0.267 onwards.

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Version Jan 26, 2006

Hi again Ralf,

Here's the info about MultiTerm: 6.2.0.287 Build 287

So you think I could import the terms with MT Convert, or should I do it from WinAlign, considering I already made the alignment?

Thanks!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
What's the source format? Jan 26, 2006

Hi,

Here's the info about MultiTerm: 6.2.0.287 Build 287

Good - that's the last release of MT 6.2.

So you think I could import the terms with MT Convert, or should I do it from WinAlign, considering I already made the alignment?

That depends on the source format - as I said before: which format were those terms in?

The result of an alignment cannot be used to 'feed' MT Convert, but you could perhaps create a bilingual Excel sheet using the data. However, depending on the source format, there may be an easier way.

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Format Jan 26, 2006

I have the glossary in Word, but of course I can put it in Excel.

On the other hand, I tried to import the terms with MultiTerm, but my source should be a MultiTerm XML and I don't know how to create it...

Best,

[Edited at 2006-01-26 16:16]

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What I did (but it's still not working...) Jan 26, 2006

Hi Ralf,

Here's what I did:

I created an Excel document with three columns and converted it with MT Convert. I got the MT XML document.

I tried to import the XML document into a new termbase I created. I must be doing something wrong because, even though the procedure seems to work, I don't get to actually load the entries into the termbase. The log (I copied only part of it because it's too long) says:

Import log information

General information:
Import definition name: Default import definition
Termbase name: Glossary 3 LANG
Import file: C:\Documents and Settings\ortizm\Bureau\Glosario_3.xml
Import log file: C:\Documents and Settings\ortizm\Bureau\Glosario_3.log
Exclusion file: EX
Allow over-complete entries: false
Allow incomplete entries: true
Ignore sub-languages: true
Fast import: false

Import Options:
Import all entries: Add import entry as new

Original Entry Number Action Entry Number in Termbase
-1 Does not conform to the target termbase definition.
Reason:
Source:

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Did you use the .xdt file to create the termbase? Jan 26, 2006

Hi again,
I created an Excel document with three columns and converted it with MT Convert. I got the MT XML document.

Which is one of the results - the conversion should also have produced a termbase definition (.xdt)...

I tried to import the XML document into a new termbase I created.

...which you should use to create the termbase. Did you?

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, I did not. Jan 26, 2006

I see the xdt. file, but when I create the new termbase, I can't see where I should include it.

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Termbase Definition - Step 1/5 in the Termbase Wizard... Jan 26, 2006

...it's the third option: Load an existing termbase definition file.

BTW there's a tutorial taking you through these steps...

Best regards,
Ralf

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It worked, it worked, la la la la la la!!! Jan 26, 2006

Thanks SOOOOOOOOOOO much Ralf!

It worked. I have all my work (two years of terminology gathering) in one termbase!

I owe you big time.

Thanks again.

Canada
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
One more question Jan 26, 2006

If I want to add definitions to my terms in the TB, can I align the original document in French (which contains definitions) with the translations in English and Spanish and then send that info into the TB?

Thanks!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm help (looking to incorporate file alignment)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs