Mobile menu

Location of termbases in MultiTerm - MY choice?
Thread poster: Sandra Ponfoort

Sandra Ponfoort
Local time: 05:51
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

I use the latest version of MT 7.0xxx
I've just changed laptops and I want to make a fresh start using Multiterm & Trados. For Trados, I managed to put all my TM's into one folder in my My Documents (to be sure that when doing a backup, they're not dispersed everywhere in my system). Now I want to do the same with MT.
I detached all my databases in my old system and copied them to one folder in my My Documents. Now I'm attaching them again and the first thing the program asks me after attaching a file is if he needs to remove that particular file (from the place where I put it). Just to see what would happen, I said yes. So now it's gone and I don't know where he put the working file!
Is there anyone who knows what I need to do to put all my MT files into one folder that I decide! Thanks!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2006

Hi Sandra,

I use the latest version of MT 7.0xxx

...which is not the latest version - SDL Trados recently rolled out 7.1.0.361.

The default location for termbases in this version is
Code:
c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\trados\multiterm\termbases

You can choose a different location, however, I would recommend to stick with the default, as it allows you to duplicate your termbases on another machine (simply by replicating and/or synchronising this directory).

HTH, Ralf

Sandra Ponfoort
Member (2004)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Stubbornness ;-) Jan 25, 2006

Hi Ralf,
Thanks for your reply and indeed the version you mention (build 361) is the version I have, I just didn't check " About".
But that's all beside the point. The fact is that I cannot find out how to change the location of the termbases, even if you advise me not to. With my previous system, the termbases were all over the place without me knowing what they were. Point is that the program apparently did not put them in ONE place by default. Just to avoid this problem, I really would like to know how I can change this location or influence it. What do I need to do (if I would do it)? Thanks a lot!

Germany
English to German
+ ...
How can you tell? Jan 25, 2006

Hi again,
The fact is that I cannot find out how to change the location of the termbases, even if you advise me not to.

Changing is indeed difficult, but you choose where to create a termbase (it's the first step in the process).

With my previous system, the termbases were all over the place without me knowing what they were. Point is that the program apparently did not put them in ONE place by default.

How can you tell?
Note that the filenames do not correspond to the termbase names ('friendly names') you assign. If you open MTMaster.mdb, you can see the name assignment in the Termbases table. (Be extremely careful about making any manual changes to MTMaster.mdb, as this may render your termbases unusable!)

Best regards,
Ralf

ibookg4
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Termbase Location Feb 10, 2006

Hi Ralf!

My question concers also thelocation of the Termbase folders.

I have installed Virtual PC 7.2 onto a Mac OS X (Tiger). Then I could install a Win XP Home, Office 2003, Trados 7 and MultiTerm 7 on my Mac.

I started to work with both Trados and Multiterm: have created a few Translation Memories and Termbases.

Because I do not trust much the reliability of Windows, I have chosen a folder on my Mac where I have put all my Termbases. (This folder is a so-called "share folder": that means both my Mac and Windows can see it.)

However I have just read on the Trados website (www.trados.com) that in such cases like mine (when Trados and MultiTerm are installed on a Mac) it is advisable to run everything from Windows (i.e. not to use "share folders").

So I would like to put all my Termbases into a Windows folder but I do not know how to do it in such a way that MultiTerm recognizes the new path to the new location.
Could you please give me a step-by-step description on how to do that?

Attila

Germany
English to German
+ ...
Re-create the termbases Feb 10, 2006

Hi Attila,

So I would like to put all my Termbases into a Windows folder but I do not know how to do it in such a way that MultiTerm recognizes the new path to the new location.
Could you please give me a step-by-step description on how to do that?

I'm afraid not, for two reasons:
- I have no experience whatsoever regarding Macs or Virtual PC.

- Moving termbases is risky, as you will need to tamper with the list in MTMaster.mdb.

I would thus recommend to save the termbase definition, export and re-create the termbases in the new location.

But then I'm not the only one answering...

Best regards,
Ralf

ibookg4
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Thanks Feb 13, 2006

Thanks, Ralf: I could manage to re-create my Termbases as you have suggested!

Best wishes:
Attila

PaulusVO
Individual version of mtmaster.mdb for each different user Feb 26, 2009

Ralf Lemster wrote:

The default location for termbases in this version is
Code:
c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\trados\multiterm\termbases

You can choose a different location, however, I would recommend to stick with the default, as it allows you to duplicate your termbases on another machine (simply by replicating and/or synchronising this directory).

HTH, Ralf

Ralf,

We have different PC's in different rooms (school), all with SDL Trados 2007 build 7.5.0.444.
As different persons are working on a given machine, each one locating their termbases into their own homedir, I run into problems with one central mtmaster.mdb located in ALL USERS\application data\...
If next time, the same user/student is using a different PC (which is very likely), the mtmaster.mdb located on that machine will contain no information on this person's previously created termbases.

How can I specify SDL Trados to create, and point to, this mtmaster.mdb into the logged in USER'S Application Data folder rather than the one in ALL USERS\Application Data ?
(For the sake of completeness I should add that the Application Data folder happens to be redirected by a GPO into the Home Directory of that user, but never mind about that, at this stage).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Moving termbases Feb 26, 2009

1. Package termbases into files and location of your choice;
2. Delete all packaged termbases;
3. Load packaged termbases one by one. When prompted to delete the packaged termbase, click "No"
Now you will obtain two copies of each of the termbases. One in the default MT folder (as explained by Ralf; these are the copies used by MultiTerm) and one in the location of your choice (this is where you can keep your termbases organized).

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Network setup Feb 26, 2009

If next time, the same user/student is using a different PC (which is very likely), the mtmaster.mdb located on that machine will contain no information on this person's previously created termbases.

How can I specify SDL Trados to create, and point to, this mtmaster.mdb into the logged in USER'S Application Data folder rather than the one in ALL USERS\Application Data ?
(For the sake of completeness I should add that the Application Data folder happens to be redirected by a GPO into the Home Directory of that user, but never mind about that, at this stage).

At our faculty, each student has a university-wide profile of his/her own. That is, anytime a student logs in (no matter to which computer, no matter in which room) his/her profile will be loaded from the central server. And it is the profile where the master.mdb is stored.
I believe this should do the trick.

[Upraveno: 2009-02-27 10:30 GMT]

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
No individual user configuration on a stand-alone PC... Feb 27, 2009

PaulusVO wrote:

We have different PC's in different rooms (school), all with SDL Trados 2007 build 7.5.0.444.
As different persons are working on a given machine, each one locating their termbases into their own homedir, I run into problems with one central mtmaster.mdb located in ALL USERS\application data\...
If next time, the same user/student is using a different PC (which is very likely), the mtmaster.mdb located on that machine will contain no information on this person's previously created termbases.[/quote]
Sad but true.

You can't.
The path is hardcoded in the software.

Even if you change the default registry entry:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Trados\MultiTerm\ServerDatabaseInfo]
@="JET Engine"
"Location"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\All Users\\Application Data\\SDL International\\MultiTerm\\Termbases\\"
you'll receive an error message.
Just try it...

It was intended in order to prevent the termbases sharing and speed up the Multterm Server sales.
Nevertheless, the guy who decided to put the MT files in the "All Users" folder was a heavy idiot because in this way you must have admin rights to run MT correctly on every NT-based Windows.
Of course, you can grant the full access rights to this directory to everyone (or to selected users), it works with Win 2000/XP.
But even in this case, MT still doesn't work correctly on Vista with UAC enabled.

IMHO, if even the GPO redirection fails, you can create a login script and download the mtmaster.mbd and other files from a special folder in the home directory of every student.
When the student logs out, a script uploads the modified files, wipes the local folder and downloads the default files.
It should work.

In fact, a similar approch (mtmaster cloning) permits to share MT desktop termbases
on the network.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Location of termbases in MultiTerm - MY choice?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs