Thread poster: Johanne
Johanne
Johanne
Local time: 03:23
English to German
+ ...
Feb 1, 2006

Hello everyone,
we are using Trados 7.1.0719 with Windows XP. Lately, the Workbench often crashes when more than one person works in the same termbase. This did not use to happen when we used Windows NT.
When this happens, the Workbench displays "Keine Rückmeldung" (no answer) and just won't do anything. It appears twice in the task manager and whoever is least lucky has to shut down her computer manually..
Does anyone know whether there are any incompatibilities that we are
... See more
Hello everyone,
we are using Trados 7.1.0719 with Windows XP. Lately, the Workbench often crashes when more than one person works in the same termbase. This did not use to happen when we used Windows NT.
When this happens, the Workbench displays "Keine Rückmeldung" (no answer) and just won't do anything. It appears twice in the task manager and whoever is least lucky has to shut down her computer manually..
Does anyone know whether there are any incompatibilities that we are not aware of?
I exported the the 6.5 termbases, created new databases in 7 and re-imported the data, as we were told by Trados.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Any help is very welcome.
Thank you
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Checking details... Feb 1, 2006

Hi Johanne,
we are using Trados 7.1.0719 with Windows XP. Lately, the Workbench often crashes when more than one person works in the same termbase.

Are you referring to a translation memory, or does this refer to MultiTerm (as your mentioning of "termbase" would imply)? In the latter case, which MT version are you using?

Best regards,
Ralf

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workbench Feb 1, 2006

Hello Ralph,
I am talking about the Workbench. I meant "different workbenches" (i.e. different directions), or rather the same workbench (same direction). What are they called? just databases?

Thank you in advance
Julie

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Translation memory vs. termbase Feb 1, 2006

Sorry about the semantics, but I need to make sure we're talking about the same concept.

Johanne wrote:

Hello Ralph,
I am talking about the Workbench. I meant "different workbenches" (i.e. different directions), or rather the same workbench (same direction). What are they called? just databases?

These are generally referred to as translation memories ("TMs"). I assume you have the Team version, which allows for concurrent use of TMs within a network?

A couple of things to check:
- Has one user opened the TM in Exclusive mode? This allows for certain database operations (changing the setup, reorganising), but it prevents access by other users.

- You mentioned a switch from WinNT to Windows XP; have you checked if Windows firewall settings might prevent access to the TMs?

- Are the database files stored on a server? Do all users have sufficient access rights (check the Active Directory settings if aplicable)?

Best regards,
Ralf

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Workench crashes Feb 1, 2006

Hello Ralph,
thanks for you time. Let's see:

We are sure that noone is signed on "exclusively" since we can work in the same translation memory for a while before it crashes (anything between 10 min. and several hours).

Our translation memories are file-based, they are located on a joint drive.

I am not sure about the firewall settings, but will have that checked out - does it also matter for file-based (i.e. not server-based) translation memories?... See more
Hello Ralph,
thanks for you time. Let's see:

We are sure that noone is signed on "exclusively" since we can work in the same translation memory for a while before it crashes (anything between 10 min. and several hours).

I am not sure about the firewall settings, but will have that checked out - does it also matter for file-based (i.e. not server-based) translation memories?

Thanks for you advice
Julie
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Network issue? Feb 1, 2006

Hi again,

Sounds more like a network issue to me... but that is impossible to tell without checking your system.

...on a server?

I am not sure about the firewall settings, but will have that checked out - does it also matter for file-based (i.e. not server-based) translation memories?

Yes in principle, as technically, this involves read/write file operations. However, as you are able to access at first (which wasn't clear from the outset), I would exclude firewall/access rights as possible causes, as these would prevent access.

Best regards,
Ralf

Johanne
Johanne
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Feb 21, 2006

Hello Ralf,
thanks for all your suggestions. We were finally able to solve the problem with our IT department, which unfortunately does not have any experience with Trados. The IT guy made some changes to the Novell Client settings and that seemed to have done the trick.
I guess this won't help anyone else, especially as I am not able to say what was done.
Just thought I'd let you all know
Thanks
Johanne

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Workbench crashes when more than 1 person works in it

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »