https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42160-i_have_70_and_the_customer_needs_65_bilingual_file.html

I have 7.0 and the customer needs 6.5 bilingual file
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 19:32
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 2, 2006

It's a long list of RTF files, produced from interleaf source: tags upon tags upon tags... I used tag editor to translate and the agency is now in a bind because they do not know if the client will be able to handle the bilingual RTF output of the version 7.0: for one input RTF you get i) the same input RTF back plus ii) the ttx.

Doing the same thing again in word is useless: there's so many tags I would for sure screw up sooner or later.

Questions:
i) any exp
... See more
It's a long list of RTF files, produced from interleaf source: tags upon tags upon tags... I used tag editor to translate and the agency is now in a bind because they do not know if the client will be able to handle the bilingual RTF output of the version 7.0: for one input RTF you get i) the same input RTF back plus ii) the ttx.

Doing the same thing again in word is useless: there's so many tags I would for sure screw up sooner or later.

Questions:
i) any experience with how interleaf handles TRADOS 7. bilingual input?

ii) Does it make sense to go back to 6.5 version and hopefully use the same TM to do bilingual RTFs "the old-fashioned way"? Is it possible to filter the biliingual output of 7 version down to 6.5 version files?

iii) what else can I do?

Thank you for your help

Vito
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A possible workaround Feb 2, 2006

is to clean the ttx files, then export the TM as txt (version 2x-6x).
The client should create his own ttxs from the originals and "run" it with the 100% TUs from the imported TM

Or?

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
No probs AFAIK Feb 2, 2006

I have several times provided ttx files translated by TegEditor 7.0 to a customer who has Trados 6.5 and they have never complained. I attached the txt (for versions 2-6) export of the memory to play it safer - so, in theory, they may have used the memory to resolve any problems, but I am pretty sure that this particular customer would have complained if the ttx files hadn't worked for them.

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
It is much simpler... Feb 2, 2006

I used word and 7.0 TM on original RETF files, and bingo, I do have bilingual RTF files, in spite of all those horrible tags ...

I just do not know where the ttx came from when I did the auto-translate, but very probably it must be me, just me.

Sigh ... that was close...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have 7.0 and the customer needs 6.5 bilingual file

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »