RPC-server not available
Thread poster: ibookg4
ibookg4
Local time: 18:24
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 4, 2006

Hi!
When using Trados 7 Freelance, the following error message appears: "RPC server is not available" (or something similar because it is in Hungarian...).
I use: Windows XP Home, Office 2003, Trados 7 Freelance and MultiTerm 7.
This error message which is NOT in the error message liste of Translator's Workbench appears when in Word I type a word which is NOT in any Translation Memory but only in a Termbase. (The Termbase in which it is supposed to be is opened: in Translatr's Workbench "Term Recognition is ON and Term Recognition Settings are correct.)
What I think the problem to be is this: in MultiTerm I have tried to connect to a remote Termbase server via Termbase-Login. I have taken the address of the remote termbase from Multiterm Tutorial (http://multiterm.com/mtanywhere, username and password: visitor) but it does not work (anymore?). Now whenever I open Multiterm, the "login" window appears and I am unable to check out the username and the "MultiTerm Server Computer" fields because if nothing is written in them then the "OK" option to close that window is no longer available. If I close that window by clicking on "Cancel" then mext time when I open MultiTerm it appears again. So it seems to me that Translator's Workbench tries to open a remote Termbase when it does not find a term in its Translation Memory. But I may be wrong with this idea... Solutions are welcome to this problem. Thanks! Attila

Direct link Reply with quote

ibookg4
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Feb 5, 2006

I have chosen a very simple and powerful solution: I have uninstalled MultiTerm 7 and reinstalled it. Now it works...

Nora Diaz  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:24
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing! Feb 8, 2006

Thanks for sharing your solution. This annoying problem popped up in my laptop out of nowhere (I never tried connecting to a server), but I hadn't really invested much time in trying to solve it because I don't really use Trados in the laptop that much. Now I can fix it, thanks!

ibookg4
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... :-) Feb 8, 2006

Hi Nora!
Still beware of half-solutions like mine!... It does solve the problem of the annoying prompting to connect to remote servers, but I still does not know what to do if in the future I need to connect to a remote server and it does not work (or it does work..). Now actually I do not dare to connect to remote servers...) but I do not like these "better not to try" situations...)) Still hope someone will come up with THE solution...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RPC-server not available

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs