Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:24
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 8, 2006

I decided this morning that I wanted to rename a Trados TM, because I had accidentally given it the wrong name last time. I clicked the opposite mouse button, selected the option to rename, and typed in the new name that I wanted it to have. I have done that many times with individual Word files without problem. However, after I changed the name of the Trados TM, Trados refused to open it any more, so I have lost it and need to start recreating the TM again, under a new name, using WinAlign. Is there a correct way to rename a Trados TM, to avoid this happening?

Thanks for any info.

Astrid

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Simply rename all files you find in the TM-folder Feb 8, 2006

There are five TM files and perhaps a log file too.
You just need to rename all of them. Their names must be exactly the same, but you must keep the different extensions.

HTH
Jerzy

Ronnie Halpern  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Back up the TM with File Export Feb 8, 2006

Jerzy is right, but I would also recommend that you back up your TM by regularly exporting it. It should take seconds but could save your hours if your TM becomes corrupted for any reason, and of course if you have an export file you can always create a new TM with any name you want and then import the exported text file into the new TM.

HTH,

Ronnie

PCovs
Denmark
Member (2003)
English to Danish
+ ...
Exactly! Rename all 5 files. Feb 8, 2006

I have tried this also.
Fortunately, it's easily remedied; just rename all the 5 files belonging to this memory, and Bob's your uncle. ;D

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 08:24
Spanish to French
+ ...
Export and rename Feb 8, 2006

You can also export your memory, create a new memory with a new name and import your export file back into it.
I always feel uncomfortable renaming TRADOS's binary files...
I've had cases where the files became corrupted just by moving the files from one point to another instead of copying.

[Edited at 2006-02-08 20:18]

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 08:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sensible solution Feb 8, 2006

nico95 wrote:

You can also export your memory, create a new memory with a new name and import your export file back into it.

I think this is the most sensible solution. And when you import your exported .txt file into the new memory with the new name, you can choose the Import Mode option that says "Large import file (with reorganisation)", so that it's nicely reorganized, rechecked and everything. That way, you prevent it from getting corrupted.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions! Feb 8, 2006

I think that, from now on, I will have no excuse not to be able to rename a TM without any problem.

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to rename a Trados TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs