Merging TM's: how to recognize segments ?
Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
German to French
Feb 12, 2006

Hi,

A client sent me a TM to use for a new project. I would like to import this TM into my own main TM and to be able to recognize clearly the segments that come from that client-TM and the segments which were already in my own TM.

I know that I have to change something in the field attributes before I export and import the TM, but how does it work exactly?
What do I have to modifiy in the client-TM and how can I do that?

Many thanks in advance!
... See more
Hi,

A client sent me a TM to use for a new project. I would like to import this TM into my own main TM and to be able to recognize clearly the segments that come from that client-TM and the segments which were already in my own TM.

I know that I have to change something in the field attributes before I export and import the TM, but how does it work exactly?
What do I have to modifiy in the client-TM and how can I do that?

Many thanks in advance!
Sylvain

Trados FL 7.0.0.615, build 615
WinXP
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A workaround Feb 13, 2006

1 Open the Client TM
2 Open File/Setup
3 in "Fields" add the attribute you wish
4 Setting ->Project and filter settings
5 In Filter settings take the attribute you created into the Attribute pickings
6 Export tM as txt
7 Import it into yours
8 All TUs from the client TM will have the attribute you have defined

Rgds

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 13, 2006

Thank you Toledo,

That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Sylvain

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You can also modify the "created by" field in exported TMs Feb 13, 2006

Simply open an txt-exported TM in a text editor and using search and replace change the current name to the name you desire.

HTH
Jerzy

Sylvain Leray
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jerzy Feb 13, 2006

That's a very quick and handy way to do !

Thanks!
Sylvain

Gabi Franz
Gabi Franz
English to German
Change user ID before importing Feb 14, 2006

Another possibility which I often use:

1) Export client TM as text.
2) Close TM (not Workbench).
3) Change your User ID to for example "Client". (Settings > User ID). The TM must be closed to be able to change the User ID.
4) Open your TM.
5) Import the text file (the exported client TM).
6) Close the TM and change the user ID back.

Result: The client TM's entries are marked as "Created by: Client" (or whatever you entered as User ID).
... See more
Another possibility which I often use:

1) Export client TM as text.
2) Close TM (not Workbench).
3) Change your User ID to for example "Client". (Settings > User ID). The TM must be closed to be able to change the User ID.
4) Open your TM.
5) Import the text file (the exported client TM).
6) Close the TM and change the user ID back.

Result: The client TM's entries are marked as "Created by: Client" (or whatever you entered as User ID).

Best regards,
Gabi
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
A text Editor Feb 14, 2006

is the easiest way, but you can only change a attribute that it is inside, and you loose, in this case the created by:, that maybe important too, to make a better work, for example to add client + project + Section or things like that you will need to create in Trados those attributes.

for a simple recognition it is text edition the best way but if you want to make a good working TM it is better to work with a good preparation, and the settings can be very helpful.
Se
... See more
is the easiest way, but you can only change a attribute that it is inside, and you loose, in this case the created by:, that maybe important too, to make a better work, for example to add client + project + Section or things like that you will need to create in Trados those attributes.

for a simple recognition it is text edition the best way but if you want to make a good working TM it is better to work with a good preparation, and the settings can be very helpful.
Settings and Export settings for the data transfer are very strong tools for working and avoid corruptions, rescue TMs etc.

[Edited at 2006-02-14 19:37]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Merging TM's: how to recognize segments ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »