https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/42650-identification_of_faulty_tus.html

Identification of faulty TUs
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:08
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 15, 2006

I have a very large TM, and in this very large TM I appear to have one or two faulty TUs, e.g. when they are displayed, as I am doing a translation with similar text, they appear to contain, for example, zeros inside curly brackets.

The presence of these faulty TUs appears to cause problems each time that I translate a new document with this TM and they pop up. Then the document is corrupted and won't clean up, etc., etc.

Is there any quick way of identifying them and d
... See more
I have a very large TM, and in this very large TM I appear to have one or two faulty TUs, e.g. when they are displayed, as I am doing a translation with similar text, they appear to contain, for example, zeros inside curly brackets.

The presence of these faulty TUs appears to cause problems each time that I translate a new document with this TM and they pop up. Then the document is corrupted and won't clean up, etc., etc.

Is there any quick way of identifying them and deleting them, without going through the whole huge TM, 5 TUs at a time, and looking for them. That would take simply hours, and I don't have time, but I would like to locate them and either correct or delete them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Astrid
Collapse

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
Maintenance -> find and replace? Feb 15, 2006

I think that's what I would try in this case - have you done this already?

That's the only thing I can think of right now - mind you, I'm not REALLY into Trados, but I think you could use this.

Sorry, obviously this would only work if you know what to look for. Hmmmm, have you searched the help base?

[Edited at 2006-02-15 13:49]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Right-click, then Delete Feb 15, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Is there any quick way of identifying them and deleting them, without going through the whole huge TM, 5 TUs at a time, and looking for them. That would take simply hours, and I don't have time, but I would like to locate them and either correct or delete them.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Astrid

Should be easy. Next time they pop up, just delete them by right-clicking on one of the flags displayed in the Translator's Workbench window and selecting the corresponding command.

Also, you could try finding them using the concordance search (F3), and you can view up to 99 units at once in Maintenance mode.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2006-02-15 16:44]

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Super, I have found them and deleted them now! Feb 15, 2006

I didn't know that it was possible to see 99 TUs at a time. I tried it, and also pulled out the window to cover the whole screen. I soon found them, and the reason I couldn't find anything with search and replace was that it was actually pictures which were causing the problem. There had once been a picture in one document in the series that I had translated, and it appeared to have multiplied and got into a lot of TUs, and was inserting pictures all over the place where they didn't belong. Th... See more
I didn't know that it was possible to see 99 TUs at a time. I tried it, and also pulled out the window to cover the whole screen. I soon found them, and the reason I couldn't find anything with search and replace was that it was actually pictures which were causing the problem. There had once been a picture in one document in the series that I had translated, and it appeared to have multiplied and got into a lot of TUs, and was inserting pictures all over the place where they didn't belong. Then, when I deleted them the wrong way, I was getting corrupted documents, that wouldn't clean, where TUs got stuck open, etc.

Now, seeing 99 TUs at a time, over the whole screen, I have found and deleted all the offending pictures.

Thanks indeed, Benjamin.

Astrid
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Identification of faulty TUs

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »