Thread poster: Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:36
Member (2003)
German to French
Feb 16, 2006

Hi!

I'm working with a TM that allows multiple translations for 100% matches.
In my Word document, I have a segment (one word, actually) which have 2 different translations in this TM. Only 1 is right in this context, but TWB always show me and insert the "wrong" one in the target as the first instance. So each time I have to press "next 100%" in WB, switch back to Word and press "get translation".

Is there a way I can configure the TM to get the right translation
... See more
Hi!

I'm working with a TM that allows multiple translations for 100% matches.
In my Word document, I have a segment (one word, actually) which have 2 different translations in this TM. Only 1 is right in this context, but TWB always show me and insert the "wrong" one in the target as the first instance. So each time I have to press "next 100%" in WB, switch back to Word and press "get translation".

Is there a way I can configure the TM to get the right translation as first instance? It would save me a lot of time...

Hope I'm clear.
Many thanks in advance!

Sylvain
SDL Trados 7.1.0.719
MS Word 2002

[Edited at 2006-02-16 19:47]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
At least with Trados 7 you ca use keyboard shortcuts Feb 16, 2006

As far I got you right:
You have the siuation, that you have more than one 100% match for one and the same segment, correct? This is what we very often have in Polish, because of grammar.
Well, WB will allways show you only one match at once, so you have to switch between the matches.
If you press ALT+PgDn, WB will present you the next available tranlation, pressing ALT+PgUp brings you back to the previous one.
This works not only with 100% matches, but allways, when more
... See more
As far I got you right:
You have the siuation, that you have more than one 100% match for one and the same segment, correct? This is what we very often have in Polish, because of grammar.
Well, WB will allways show you only one match at once, so you have to switch between the matches.
If you press ALT+PgDn, WB will present you the next available tranlation, pressing ALT+PgUp brings you back to the previous one.
This works not only with 100% matches, but allways, when more than one translation could be found.
This shortcut works also with TAG Editor (at least with the version 7).

HTH
Best regards
Jerzy

BTW, to switch the sequence of appearing of TUs in WB, you have to overwrite the first TU with the content of the right one (ie this one you will to appear first), and then change the one which was previously not at first place to the translation which was in the first place. I'm not good in explaining, so I'll try with an example.
Let's assume, you have two translations: "Red" and "red". The first one to appear is "Red". But you want "red" to appear first. So when the next time "Red" appears, go to WB, right click on the flag beside "Red" and chose "Edit". Change "Red" to "red" and save the TU. Now you have "red" twice. So press "Next 100%" and change then "red" to "Red". Now they will appear in the oposite sequence. I hope this is somehow clear.

[Edited at 2006-02-16 21:49]
Collapse

Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Wonderful Feb 17, 2006

Jerzy,
Thank you very much!

Firstly, I always work with shortcuts but did'nt know this particular one, which is very useful indeed, and not only for 100% matches.

And secondly, I did'nt know that I could edit segments this way, by right-clicking them in the Workbench! That's just great!

You really made my day
Sylvain

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I´m glad I could tell you something new Feb 17, 2006

Have a great weekend

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple translations allowed: little question

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »