Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 20:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Feb 17, 2006

I downloaded and isntalled today Adobe Indeseign CS TRial and tried to export files for Trados. But Indesign needs plugins version 3.0, and I have only 2.0 or CS, which do not work.
Seems that the newest Indesign is not supported by Trados. Any help?
Regards
Heinrich

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:23
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
RTFM is sometimes really helpfull Feb 17, 2006

Taken from: FileFormatsRef_en.pdf

Story Collector for InDesign works with Adobe InDesign 2.0. It converts files in INDD and INDT format to a text format (ISC) that can be easily translated using Translator's Workbench and TagEditor.

HTH
Jerzy

PS
FileFormatsRef_en.pdf can be found [url=http://www.translationzone.com/download.asp?menuItem=3
]here[/url] - under "Documentation".

Edited due to wrong language

[Edited at 2006-02-17 14:09]

NOW EDITED DUE TO WRITERS STUPIDITY
You do not need the plugin, I read that somwhere and was sure it was here...

[Edited at 2006-02-17 14:13]

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Schon gelesen Feb 17, 2006

Aber mein Indesign will version 3.0 von Storycollector und nimmt die ihm angeboten Dateien nicht an. Leider kann man nicht mit den Fingern an die Kehle von diesen Adobe-Programmen.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, Heinrich Feb 17, 2006

I read somwhere you will not need StoryCollector anymore and was sure, it was in FileFormat Reference Guide.
Sorry for the missinformation.

Best
Jerzy

Now I have it!
You can finf the information here.

New InDesign CS2 Filter in SDL TRADOS 7.1

With the Release of SDL TRADOS 7.1 there is a new filter for InDesign CS2.

But this one works radically different from the “old” InDesign StoryCollectors. This was necessary because the StoryCollector Workflow had a lot of issues especially in combination with TOCs, Indexes, Hyperlinks and Bookmarks.

With the new filter you can just export an InDesign CS2 file in the “InDesign Interchange” Format (*.INX). The resulting file can then be opened directly in TagEditor. Once it is translated, it can be saved as *.INX again and be directly opened in InDesign CS2.

Using this new workflow the above mentioned issues are eliminated

[Edited at 2006-02-17 14:17]

[Edited at 2006-02-17 15:34]

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
eine Lösung Feb 17, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Aber mein Indesign will version 3.0 von Storycollector und nimmt die ihm angeboten Dateien nicht an. Leider kann man nicht mit den Fingern an die Kehle von diesen Adobe-Programmen.
Hello Heinrich, Versuche mal die Indesign plug-in von Trados 6.5 in deine jetzige (ich glaube 7.0 ) ins plug-in Folder hineinzukopieren. Dort ist auch eine kurze Anleitung über die Handhabung. Erst mt Trados 6.5.5 kam die INDD CS plug-ins auf den Markt. Gruss und viel Erfolg. Brandis

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
CS 2 plug-in gibt es och nicht Feb 17, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

so weit ich weiß. Sorry dann die vorherige Posting kann gestrichen werden. Es gibt aber eine Workaround, für das INDD CS2 und INDD CS beide installiert werden muessen. Brandis

Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Jerzy! Feb 17, 2006

Your link does not work. I have installed 7.1 (on Feb 1, 2006), but those files in the Plugins-folder are from mid-2005.
Anyway the project is taken by someone else, so I do not wory anymore.
If only they would put the font size back soon to a readable number!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I corrected the link Feb 17, 2006

so now it points to the main page - you have t scroll down to see the info I mentioned.

As for the font - my forum is quite readable now.

In Tag Editor you can now chose "InDesign interchange (*.inx)" in "Open file" menu - simply try that. No plugins, no problems.
You only need to have InDesign on your PC or you must ask your customer to provide you the file in interchange format.

Best
Jerzy

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
3.0 = CS Feb 17, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I downloaded and isntalled today Adobe Indeseign CS TRial and tried to export files for Trados. But Indesign needs plugins version 3.0, and I have only 2.0 or CS, which do not work.
Seems that the newest Indesign is not supported by Trados. Any help?
Regards
Heinrich

InDesign 2.0 = install StoryCollector for ID 2.0, export to .isc (save the file after exporting to be on the safe side), translate (TagEditor), create translated .isc, import back

InDesign CS (3.0) = install StoryCollector for ID CS, export to .isc (save the file after exporting to be on the safe side), translate (TagEditor), create translated .isc, import back

InDesign CS2 (4.0) = save the file as .inx, translate with TagEditor, create translated .inx file, open .inx file in InDesign

Trados 6.5 supports both InDesign 2.0 and CS, to open .inx file directly in TagEditor you need Trados 7.x (there is a workaround, but it requires two different versions of InDesign on two computers; of course you can simply spend two hours on reinstalling different ID versions on a single computer).

HTH,
Wojtek

[Edited at 2006-02-17 18:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to get Storycollector for Indesign 3.0

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs