Need help with alignment
Thread poster: Patrick Dotterer

Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 13:52
SITE STAFF
Feb 17, 2006

Hey there,

I would like to know how I can align translated strings from our database to Trados (most recent version) in order to have the memory for further tanslations.

What format does the file need to be in order to do this?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Patrick

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:52
English to German
+ ...
HTML should work ok Feb 17, 2006

Hi Pat,
If you have a possibility to extract them as HTML, that should be straightforward.

How many different languages will you need to align?

Best, Ralf

Patrick Dotterer
Local time: 13:52
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Language to be aligned Feb 17, 2006

Hey Ralf,

Thanks for the reply.

I would be taking the portion of English to French translation that has been done, but would be looking for a format that we could use in order to localize projects down the road by having files sent to localizers so they can use the existing memory that we have on our database.

Does this make sense?

Regards,
Patrick

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Aren't the translations already aligned? Feb 17, 2006

Creating a TMX translation memory from two columns with already aligned translations would be a no-brainer for many of us.

Regards,
Gerard

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Exactly Feb 18, 2006

Agree with Gerard,

Creating a TMX translation memory from two columns with already aligned translations would be a no-brainer for many of us.

I imagine most of the strings will be structurally identical in English and the target language, so the alignment should be pretty straightforward. Copy text (such as FAQ entries, etc.) might require a bit more work, but nothing major, I guess.

What you might want to consider is to build a TM with multiple target languages.

Best regards,
Ralf

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
tmx editor Feb 18, 2006

I like best the heartsome tmx editor for tasks related to alignment and similar processing of TM.

http://www.heartsome.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with alignment

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search