Translate to fuzzy
Thread poster: Fiona Stephenson
Sylvain Leray
Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:10
Member (2003)
German to French
Last remark Feb 21, 2006

I forgot to mention that the available shortcuts should be visible in the Trados Menu in Word (in mine, they are). If not, then you should find them easily in the Trados Help.

HTH

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some workaround Feb 21, 2006

This is crazy, but it should work. Be sure to go really step by step as described here.

• For the descricption purposes let´s name your source language Language A and your target language Language B.

If I understood you correctly, you have a document, which is segmented and some segments do contain both langua
... See more
This is crazy, but it should work. Be sure to go really step by step as described here.

• For the descricption purposes let´s name your source language Language A and your target language Language B.

If I understood you correctly, you have a document, which is segmented and some segments do contain both language A and language B, but the majority of the segments does contain only language A and language A (in target). If so, what you want to obtain is a document without any segmentation and only in language A. To get it from what you have follow these steps:

• Create a completly new TM for language A to langugage B. This is our TM AB
  • Clean up your document against this TM.
  • Export this TM to the text file.
  • Create a completly new TM for language B to A. This will be TM BA.
  • Set ALL penalties in that TM to 0.
  • Using the translation option in that TM translate the cleaned file with this TM.
  • As a result you will now have a file completly in the language A. Let´s call it File A.
  • Delete the TM BA.
  • Open your main TM, which one you wanted to use to translate the file.
  • Set the TM AB as reference TM for concordance search.
  • Check "Search first in reference TM".
  • Check "Start concordance search if no translation is found.
  • Open the file you got from translation, I called it "File A".
  • Start translating. Every time no match is found, Workbench will run a concordance search in the TM AB - if there was a translation for that particular segment it will now show up. If you wish to copy it, you have to select it with your mouse in the concordance window, then press CTRL+C, go back to the document you are translating and press CTRL+V to paste the translation into your document.

I know it is a bit weird, but if your customer will not provide you with a file in Language A and a TM with the translations to it, it is still a workaround to get where you wanted to go.

As for Word shortcuts: you can define your own shortcuts.
For instance, you can define, that ALT+Y will cause "Translate to fuzzy" and so on. To do so, go to Tools - Adapt and chose keyboard. Place the cursor in the window "Press new shortcut key". Press the shortcut you know and you wish to define new. For example press "ALT+(NUM*)". You will then see "Currently connected to:" followed by a name. On the left side, in the field "Categories" select "Macros". By scrolling macro names down search for the name which was shown. When looking for the name disregard the "TemplateProject" and look only for what follows after the dot.
Refer to Word help how to assign shortcuts. In general you can assign almost any shortcut to any function in Word you wish. After assigning shortcuts be sure to save your normal.dot. When Word does not ask for saving normal.dot, than it does this automatically. Otherwise you will be asked - you will need to confirm the operation, as if not your changes will get lost.

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2006-02-21 15:35]
Collapse

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translating to fuzzy Feb 21, 2006

You are right, I am using a "Brazilian" keyboard. Incidentally, no shortcut is shown in my Trados menu for "get translation" - the others do show shortcuts (get fuzzy and so on) but my specific question was whether there was another one I could use with one hand - my plan was to "get next + insert target + get next" etc in quick succession, but it seems there is no way of doing this (for those of us unfortunates with a Brazilian keyboard).

Fiona

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:10
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translating to fuzzy Feb 21, 2006

Sorry Jerzy, only now I see your message - and the solution, create my own shortcut! The text in question is done and dusted now, but I will certainly try out your method when I have a spare moment or ten, although it does look rather complicated at first glance.
Thanks to everyone for you comments.
Fiona

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Maybe no predefined shortcut, but... Feb 21, 2006

Fiona Robson wrote:

You are right, I am using a "Brazilian" keyboard. Incidentally, no shortcut is shown in my Trados menu for "get translation" - the others do show shortcuts (get fuzzy and so on) but my specific question was whether there was another one I could use with one hand - my plan was to "get next + insert target + get next" etc in quick succession, but it seems there is no way of doing this (for those of us unfortunates with a Brazilian keyboard).

Fiona

This is simply not true.
Word allows you to define your own shortcuts, regrdles of keyboard used. Please see my post above and refer to Word help for detailed description how to create and assign shortcuts.

Maybe if you would be a bit more precise, what kind of shortcuts you exactly need, we would be able to tell you the default settings.
OTOH you could also aks Trados help file and find what you are looking for.
In Workbench chose Help - Translator´s Workbench Help - Contents - Translator´s Workbench Interfaces - Microsoft Word - Interface with Word. There you will find the description of most shortcuts, at least the most important one.

In general, using the help files provided with the software you are working with is certainly a very good way to get to know the software and to learn a lot. I´v learned almost everything I know about Word from it´s help files - Word help belongs to the best you can find! And even Trados help files are better than manuals. So give it at least a try.

Best
Jerzy

Edited:
Thank you, Fiona
It looks weird, I know - but if you follow the steps with your file and TM this will not be that complicated at all. It is weird, because your customer shouldn´t have done it in this way. The best what you could do was to ask the customer for another "clean" file and the corresponding TM.
As for the shortcuts - please look in Trados help, and then try to adapt the ones you need to be usable with one hand. This is also usefull if you want to use shortcuts with a notebook, not having a numeric pad.

[Edited at 2006-02-21 20:04]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translate to fuzzy

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »