Mobile menu

How will the new SDL Trados 2006 work and look?
Thread poster: Monika Coulson

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:04
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Feb 21, 2006

Does anyone know how will the new product (SDL Trados 2006) work? Will it look more like Trados or more like SDLX? Has anyone been testing the new product?

Curious,
Monika

[Edited at 2006-02-21 15:00]

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2004)
German to English
Don't get excited yet! Feb 22, 2006

I looked at the site and you simply get SDLX and Trados together at one price. They haven't got that far yet in bringing the 2 together. I think they made some improvements to each but not enough to get us excited about "new" software". Maybe they want us all to try out both ...

Happy translating.
Gillian

Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:04
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Gillian Feb 22, 2006

Hmmm, I was hoping for a combination of the best features from both of them...

Monika

Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:04
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Confused Feb 22, 2006

I had this friendly SDL sales guy on the phone yesterday, but I still don't understand what I've upgraded to! As he promised improved possibilities to use SDLX for .ttx files (tag-editor) I thought - oh well, I'll just see what happens.

As far as I understood it, the programs will be presented in one package.

I got into a panic when I ordered my € 77 upgrade from SDLX2005, as I was suddenly confronted with a € 159 support contract. It said something about logins and I just clicked it as I cannot afford getting stuck. Afterwards I found out that the (SDL, now also Trados) support centre is still acessible even if you do not have a support contract, but you are just not flagged as a priority. I did not have a support contract with SDLX but still received quick answers from their support.

I haven't understood this support on level 1 and 2, maybe if you have more users, as I cannot imagine I would pay all that money to be allowed 1 login to the support centre, I think they mean 1 account. But if somebody has more knowledge, I'd like to hear about it - even if it turns out I just paid €159 extra for nothing....

Anjo

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:04
Sorry I missed this thread Feb 22, 2006

I am also looking into buying Trados, now SDL/Trados 2006, but I did not know that what they are selling is TWO different softwares.

At the "buying page" in their website, I was also offered the support/maintenance package. However, the description is very sketchy and one is not sure of what is being bought. I was also confused, just like Anjo, about the 2 levels of assistance (one entitles to one login and the other to four logins, but it is not mentioned if this is on a daily, monthly or yearly basis). There is an option NOT to buy the support, but then nothing explained on what to do if you need support and did not buy their package.

I thus started a similar thread (see http://www.proz.com/topic/42901) with specific questions to colleagues who might have bought the support/maintenance package.

The lack of clear information and of communication from the vendor (I have sent two messages and got no answer) is making me reconsider my decision of buying the software, even if clients are pushing me to do so!

I look forward to reading more comments from Proz colleagues before making a final decision!

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:04
Member (2004)
German to English
I bookmarked the blog Feb 22, 2006

http://trados.wordpress.com/ and this is what he says - 2 programs, 1 price.

Here's the info on the sdl site:
http://www.translationzone.com/sublink.asp?ID=777

I already have both products in their latest versions and the "improved features" don't seem to add much to it for me so I don't intend to upgrade this time. It doesn't seem worth it to me - and nobody has yet said they need the upgrade. It only really gets interesting when there really is a new product out there. Marketing is a wonderful thing - they are many ways to get you to spend money ... Of course if i miss out one upgrade the next one will probably be more expensive but I think I can live with that

Happy translating.
Gillian

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How will the new SDL Trados 2006 work and look?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs