https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/43247-have_notebook_will_translate_assigning_a_shortcut_for_num%2B_on_the_notebook_keyboard.html

Have notebook, will translate (assigning a shortcut for Num+ on the notebook keyboard)
Thread poster: Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 22:24
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 1, 2006

...like when I am on Intercity Express Train somewhere in the middle of Germany.

But, heck, I can't use the Alt+Num+ the usual way because there's no Num+ on the keyboard of my Fujits+Siemens noteboook.

Any suggestions on how to associate TRADOS keyboard shortcuts in a different way?

TiA

smo

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-03 09:55]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Word vs. TagEditor Mar 1, 2006

Hi Vito,
In Word, it's easy to assign a new shortcut - see past discussions on this topic. (For example, I have changed SetCloseOpenGet to Alt + - the normal plus sign.)

However, this won't help for TagEditor, where you don't have that flexibility. I'm using the Logitech V250 Cordless Number Pad Kit, which provides a separate numeric keypad via a wireless USB connection. Works a charm.

HTH, Ralf

Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez
Eva Villarreal Gutiérrez  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Try with the Fn key Mar 1, 2006

My HP notebook has a function key (Fn in blue) which activates the keys for a "virtual" Num pad (the keys for letters u, i, o, p, j, k, l, ñ, m, : and - have a number or other numeric symbol in blue on the top right corner). So, Alt+Num+ becomes Alt+Fn+-(+ in blue).

Hope this is useful.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
KeyTweak Mar 1, 2006

You can find it at

http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/

it's free and you can use it to assign "numpad plus" to any of your keys you do not need for other things (F12, or so)

HTH

Antonin

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
one more gadget I have a chance to forget on the train Mar 1, 2006

- for Ralf! -

I'm one of those characters who make the Bundesbahn raffles so enticing ("what do we have it this time from Vito? An umbrella? Oh no, what about some real USB device?!")

So I'll go 100% for some key-replacement applet...

[Edited at 2006-03-01 22:40]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
my problem with that is that the whole d*n kybd start to misbehave. Mar 1, 2006

- response to Eva -

I mean, I do have this possibility, namely to map the whole (missing) numerical pad unto the rest of the keyboard. No big deal, to be honest.

But that goes too far in terms of what I need.

Thanks, by the way!

[Edited at 2006-03-01 22:41]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
one more Tweak!? I'm speechless... Mar 1, 2006

That's more like it... A keypress mapper...

Thanks, A!

I'll see if/how it does it and possibly come back with some useful hints (or an article

May I suggest the subject to be closed?

smo

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Some more... Mar 2, 2006

SharpKeys does about the same: remaps the keys for good:

http://www.randyrants.com/2004/03/sharpkeys_11_of.html

This has serious drawbacks, though: to change the mapping you have to restart your computer and you cannot program key combinations...

When you want more flexibility, try AutoHotkey:... See more
SharpKeys does about the same: remaps the keys for good:

http://www.randyrants.com/2004/03/sharpkeys_11_of.html

This has serious drawbacks, though: to change the mapping you have to restart your computer and you cannot program key combinations...

When you want more flexibility, try AutoHotkey:

http://www.autohotkey.com

While it may look complicated, it is very useful.

I have remapped all Trados shortcuts (both in Word and TagEditor) so they can be reached straight from the home keys (most often used combinations are assigned to LeftAlt+j, LeftAlt+k, LeftAlt+l, etc.). While it may feel awkward in the beginning, it provides significant productivity boost!
Collapse

Elizabeth Ardans
Elizabeth Ardans  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 17:24
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use... Mar 2, 2006

to close/go to next segment, I use Ctrl, Fn (in blue), Alt and + (blue). You have to press the four keys together.
Hope it helps!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have notebook, will translate (assigning a shortcut for Num+ on the notebook keyboard)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »