Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:23
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Mar 2, 2006

I recently downloaded SDLX 2005 trial version and was exploring it before deciding on purchasing the software.

I noticed that while SDLEdit handles unicode properly (I translate into Hindi and the characterset for this language is unicode-utf-8), TermBase doesn't seem to be fully compatible with unicode.

When I created a new termbase, I was not able to type anything into the term fields in Hindi. Whatever I type, appears as a series of ???????.

However, whe
... See more
I recently downloaded SDLX 2005 trial version and was exploring it before deciding on purchasing the software.

I noticed that while SDLEdit handles unicode properly (I translate into Hindi and the characterset for this language is unicode-utf-8), TermBase doesn't seem to be fully compatible with unicode.

When I created a new termbase, I was not able to type anything into the term fields in Hindi. Whatever I type, appears as a series of ???????.

However, when I imported a tab-limited text file containing a glossary, the terms in Hindi are properly shown. However, these Hindi terms again are not editable.

Also, I am able to add new terms into the TermBase I created from my SDLX Edit, but again, I cannot edit them in the window that opens up when you add a new term from SDLXEdit. The same ???? issue arises.

I am completely new to SDLX, and it is possible that I have missed some important step. I do hope so, for other wise SDLX will have a very limited use for me.

Could those of you who have more knowledge of SDLX TermBase advise me how I can get it to work with unicode?

(I did try changing the font to a unicode font, Arial Unicode MS, but the problem was still there.)
Collapse

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDLX 2005 TermBase support for Unicode Mar 3, 2006

Hello Balasubramaniam,

Balasubramaniam wrote:
Could those of you who have more knowledge of SDLX TermBase advise me how I can get it to work with unicode?

I'm afraid I can't help, but maybe someone on the SDLX Yahoo list can.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

Thomas

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:23
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the tip Mar 4, 2006

ENGSOL wrote:

I'm afraid I can't help, but maybe someone on the SDLX Yahoo list can.

Thomas

Many thanks. I have joined the group and have posted the question there. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me on this matter.

ENGSOL
ENGSOL
German to English
+ ...
SDL Online Support Center Mar 5, 2006

Balasubramaniam wrote:

Many thanks. I have joined the group and have posted the question there. Hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me on this matter.

You could also try the SDL Online Support Center:

http://support.sdl.com/

There might be something in the archive or you could submit a support request.

HTH

Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX 2005 TermBase support for Unicode

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »