Mobile menu

Trados uncleaned file format specification, anyone?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:55
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 3, 2006

G'day everyone

Does anyone know of an accessible description of the Trados uncleaned file format, or its specifications? I can read the Wordfast user manual, but what else is there on the web?

I'm asking because I'm involved in writing a parser for it.

Thanks
Samuel

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the thread... Mar 3, 2006

...to SDL Trados Support - please use this forum for all issues related to SDL Trados.

Gusztáv Jánvári  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Discover it yourself Mar 3, 2006

Hi Samuel,

The TTX files are XML files, that is, you can view a TTX file in a normal text viewer or an XML viewer (Altova XMLSpy is an excellent choice if you need free but sophisticated stuff, http://www.altova.com/products_ide.html), or even in Internet Explorer.

The other benefit of this format is that you can give it a try to discover it yourself. There are no much tags and attributes in TTX. I have an own application that processes TTX files and for finding out about TTX, I didn' need any documentation just some file.

The best is to have a TTX (or create) that has been autotranslated and that contains 100% matches, higher matches and no match TUs. Also, some XTranslated strings are good to have. By analyzing such a file, you'll most likely find all tags and attributes a file can have.

The only tag that may miss from such a document is the df tag. It comes from display formatting and specifies the font face and color for the text displayed within the tag. Should you have ever noticed pink text, it is formatted by df.

A df looks like this:
some text

However, it is the less often case when both font and color is specified, it is most common to face df tags with only font or color set.

It is also worth to note that various versions of Trados use various TTX versions. To find out which version was used to create a given file, just inspect the CreationToolVersion attribute of the ToolSettings tag.

HTH,
e-Musty

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but my question is not about TTX Mar 5, 2006

e-Musty wrote:
The TTX files are XML files, that is, you can view a TTX file in a normal text viewer or an XML viewer.

Thanks, but I'm not concerned with the TTX file. My question relates to RTF or MS Word document that contain the styles tw4winMark etc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados uncleaned file format specification, anyone?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs