Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2006

Hi.

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind how Trados deals with placeables. (Yes, I just put the words "rationale" and "Trados" in the same sentence!)

Let's say I have two sample sentences:

1 cup of sugar
Pick up the 1 bottle of syrup

There are 11 total words, and 2 of them ("1") are what I think would be "placeables", according to Trados.

When I do the analysis, though, Trados tells me there are 11 words and 0 placeables.

I'm confused, then. How does Trados deal with placeables?

Thanks.
Sandra

Direct link Reply with quote

Bianca Adriaensen  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:58
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados vs. Wordfast Mar 6, 2006

Wordfast would replace the numbers in your examples, should the second sentence contain "2" instead of "1".... and as a consequence would indicate the change of numbers by a yellow bar instead of a green one when there's a full match... don't know how Trados shifts colours when these things occur...

xxxBrandis
Local time: 08:58
English to German
+ ...
Numbers and symbols are treated differently Mar 7, 2006

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Hi.

I'm trying to figure out the rationale behind how Trados deals with placeables. (Yes, I just put the words "rationale" and "Trados" in the same sentence!)

Let's say I have two sample sentences:

1 cup of sugar
Pick up the 1 bottle of syrup

There are 11 total words, and 2 of them ("1") are what I think would be "placeables", according to Trados.

When I do the analysis, though, Trados tells me there are 11 words and 0 placeables.

I'm confused, then. How does Trados deal with placeables?

Thanks.
Sandra
I think, because symbols, they are not treated as words. In your example - try this
1 cup of sugar
1 bowl of sugar, you should be getting one placeable. Much depends also upon the source and target language settings. Example, if you are tranlating english into Arabic
the arabic symbol for 1 has to be treated lke an alphabet, but normally dates, decimal values, symbols and other numbers do not seem to be considered by Trados as countable words and hence no placeable. While analysing numbers for example are not counted, similarly symbols are treated like pictures. I can not give any trados online help reference, but base my judgement on my experience. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trouble with Placeables

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs