MultiTerm5 appearing in SDL 2006 Freelance Version (Mod: Various issues getting started with Trados)
Thread poster: Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:29
English to German
+ ...
Mar 17, 2006

Hi

I just downloaded TRADOS to my computer. I selected the SDL TRADOS 2006 Freelance version. When I opened the tutorials, they all referred only to the MultiTerm 7 version, and when I tried to follow their instructions in setting up the Termbase, all I could find under the Terminology Provider is MultiTerm 5. When I then select "Browse" to specify the termbase location, ProgramFiles/TRADOS/T_65/TT opens up, but it does not in the least resemble the "Open Termbase" window shown in
... See more
Hi

I just downloaded TRADOS to my computer. I selected the SDL TRADOS 2006 Freelance version. When I opened the tutorials, they all referred only to the MultiTerm 7 version, and when I tried to follow their instructions in setting up the Termbase, all I could find under the Terminology Provider is MultiTerm 5. When I then select "Browse" to specify the termbase location, ProgramFiles/TRADOS/T_65/TT opens up, but it does not in the least resemble the "Open Termbase" window shown in the tutorial. I have the feeling that something went wrong, because I am ending up with an older version than I should, and a tutorial that does not actually match the program it accompanies.

The version number is 7.5.0.756.

Can anyone here help? Thanks in advance!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-03-18 07:12]
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Have you installed MultiTerm 7.1 Desktop? Mar 17, 2006

Hi,
MultiTerm is a separate program - did you also download and install it? Workbench cannot recognise MT7 as a terminology provider unless the software is installed - I assume you get the different window because of the missing application.

HTH, Ralf

PS See my response in this topic.

[Edited at 2006-03-17 06:23]

Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)
Hildegard Klein-Bodenheimer (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More Problems...and a thank you Mar 17, 2006

Hi

Thank you for your help, Ralf. I have no installed MultiTerm 7 and gotten a little futher, but am stuck again now. I have been trying to work through the tutorial, and at the point where I should be opening up the sample TM and sample Word document, I am lost because neither seems to have been installed on my computer. I tried to go to the directory specified in the tutorial (C:\Program Files\TRADOS\TM\Samples\TW4Win\En_De - as my program is also set up to go from English to Ge
... See more
Hi

Thank you for your help, Ralf. I have no installed MultiTerm 7 and gotten a little futher, but am stuck again now. I have been trying to work through the tutorial, and at the point where I should be opening up the sample TM and sample Word document, I am lost because neither seems to have been installed on my computer. I tried to go to the directory specified in the tutorial (C:\Program Files\TRADOS\TM\Samples\TW4Win\En_De - as my program is also set up to go from English to German, I figured this should be exactly the same on my computer.) But I can get as far as the TRADOS folder, but then only find "TRADOS" and "T65_FL". I have gone into each of those and all of their subfolders and directories and cannot find anything resembling the samples described. I have tried simply opening my own Word document, but I am always told by Word that "No Translation Unit seems to be Open." I have looked through the help sections and the tutorial and have followed all of the various steps described to configure Workbench to Word (configuring Term REcognition Options, Term Recognition is checked, I went through all the steps regarding "Templates and Add-Ins" in Word). I am really at a loss here as to what I am doing wrong, and can't seem to find any workable answers in either the tutorials or various help documents, since each time I think I have found something, it turns out that yet another component seems to be missing or in a place that I can't find.

I am also wondering how this will work with other documents - the Sample is just there to teach me how to use this, but I don't find any documentation on how to work with documents that I simply have on my computer and would like to translate. Do I need to create a new translation memory each time, and if so, how do I go about that?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am feeling a little helpless. My college-aged daughter is at home for a few more days to help me with TRADOS, but once she leaves I will be even more lost, and would like to have at least some idea as to what I am doing.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Get training... Mar 18, 2006

Hi again,
I believe you need to clarify the basic concepts before trying to work with any software. If you find this difficult to do by yourself, consider getting training - any CAT software is a professional tool, and unless you get trained properly, the investment will be lost.

As a first step, check the various articles in the Article Knowledgebase (use the link provided above - select Technology - CAT tools).

But I can get as far as the TRADOS folder, but then only find "TRADOS" and "T65_FL". I have gone into each of those and all of their subfolders and directories and cannot find anything resembling the samples described.

In your initial posting, you indicated that you're using Trados 7.5 - why do you have a "T65FL" folder? Did you install this yourself?

I have tried simply opening my own Word document, but I am always told by Word that "No Translation Unit seems to be Open."

Did you get this when opening a document? Did you get this message in Word, or in Workbench?

You can, of course, use your own document to follow the workflows; the sample TM is provided to help you get started, but you need a matching document to work with this.
The Trados File Formats Reference Guide (installed with the software, under Documentation in the program group) is also helpful to gain an overview of the workflows.

I have looked through the help sections and the tutorial and have followed all of the various steps described to configure Workbench to Word (configuring Term REcognition Options, Term Recognition is checked, I went through all the steps regarding "Templates and Add-Ins" in Word).

If you're confused about Workbench, I would suggest to start without term recognition, and to activate that at a later stage.

I am also wondering how this will work with other documents - the Sample is just there to teach me how to use this, but I don't find any documentation on how to work with documents that I simply have on my computer and would like to translate. Do I need to create a new translation memory each time, and if so, how do I go about that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm5 appearing in SDL 2006 Freelance Version (Mod: Various issues getting started with Trados)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »