Thread poster: Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:57
Italian to English
+ ...
Mar 21, 2006

Hi all,
Some time ago I started a thread, criticising SDL for releasing new versions of Trados too often and asking an upgrade fee each time (http://www.proz.com/topic/42317).

However, when Trados 7.5/SDLX 2006 was released, I discovered that my existing Trados 7.1 licence was valid also for the new release - I wasn't charged anything at all.

I'd like to thank SDL here,
... See more
Hi all,
Some time ago I started a thread, criticising SDL for releasing new versions of Trados too often and asking an upgrade fee each time (http://www.proz.com/topic/42317).

However, when Trados 7.5/SDLX 2006 was released, I discovered that my existing Trados 7.1 licence was valid also for the new release - I wasn't charged anything at all.

I'd like to thank SDL here, in public, for this gesture. I don't know if they read my original thread or not, but who knows - maybe I made a difference! Anyway, credit where it's due: thanks, SDL. I appreciate it.
Colm Ryan
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
When did you buy? Mar 21, 2006

Seems they are either not quite as generous with us LSPs or they still haven't finished the "Professional" version of SDLX 2006 / Trados 7.5.

In any case, I can't find the download for the new version anywhere in the "download centres" of Trados or SDLX.

Maybe the upgrade is only free to customers who bought their Trados 7.1 license very recently - when did you buy yours?

Regards,
Benjamin

Colin Ryan (X)
Colin Ryan (X)  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
7 January Mar 21, 2006

Hi,
I paid for my upgrade (Trados Freelance 6.5 -> 7.0) on 7 January.
Colm

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
I see. Mar 21, 2006

Well, okay, that's fairly recent - we bought our upgrade to Trados 7 in June last year, so I can understand now why you'd get it for free while we wouldn't.

The early bird special is still on until March 31, so maybe we'll just order the regular upgrade at three-hundred-odd euros, then.

Thanks,
Benjamin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks, SDL! Appreciated!!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »